Review of Continental TerrainContact A/T

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 5.5 years and 34.5k miles, I finally replaced the OEM Contis with TerrainContacts A/T. Note that 12.5k of those miles were put on my winter Hakkas, so I only kept the OEM Contis for about 22k miles.

As a result of rotating with the full size spare, the OEM Contis could have given me another 5-10k miles but frankly, I was done with those tires. I never had some of the full-on hatred others expressed here, but they were certainly not good. They were truly horrid in the winter, but I bypassed that by using dedicated winter tires. I felt, though somewhat noisy, they were not bad on pavement in the dry, and were actually pretty responsive in turns. I never really tested them off road, but you could tell they could not possibly be any good in those conditions extrapolating from other experiences.

After having had the TerrainContacts on for a few hundred miles, I must say I am very impressed. The immediate and VERY noticeable improvement is ride quality. I never realized how bad the ride was on the OEM Contis. WOW. It feels as if the LR4 had adaptable suspension I went from "track" mode to "comfort" with the new tires. Simply amazing. The ride is so quiet and smooth that it is almost hard to believe. I do notice a distinct loss of sharpness on turn-in, but given the use of this SUV, I will gladly make the trade. I have other cars for fun/fast driving. To my surprise, the tires are also quiet on the highway. I hope all this lasts and it's not just a new tire thing.

I swapped out all 5 tires as well which makes me feel better about a flat in the winter. I was always worried about putting on the OEM Conti spare alongside 3 Hakkas if I got a flat since the difference in winter performance was so stark. The TerrainContacts should not be as sharp a drop-off in winter performance.

Overall, I'm VERY happy. I'm very glad to have tires that can handle mild off-roading if the situation ever comes up yet is so civil on pavement. I'll post a photo when I get a chance.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put them on wife's LR4 right after i bought it, nice tires, smooth and quiet when I get a chance to drive it. Only have about 4K miles. As you say, they are a bit "soft" in the turns, but its a truck and not a sports car or sport ute....

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've put 10K on mine since last December. I love 'em. I don't pay attention to tire noise since I mostly drive with the vehicle buttoned up and music playing. I've gone on moderate trail rides (woods, hills, mud/ruts, wet grass) with Rovers wearing much beefier A/T's and have clambered over and through the same terrain as them without any problem. On the road they are just as you describe them. In snow I would not score them quite as highly as the Nokian WRG3 but they were very close. At highway speeds in heavy rain they cause no concern at all.

Plus, they look great on the LR4. Continental hit a sweet spot with these tires.

Here we are in front of the Land Rover Experience tent at the grand opening of Orvis Hill Country in Blue Ridge Summit, PA, recently.

Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 2.15.37 AM.jpg

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@cperez What trailer hitch receiver is that? Not sure if I've ever seen that one before.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@cperez What trailer hitch receiver is that? Not sure if I've ever seen that one before.

It's the Rhino hitch and it always draws a crowd. @mpinco and I have both had it for a few years and it's great. It has obvious benefits in terms of departure angle. Once you see how it clamps/bolts to the frame/bumper, you will see how strong it is. Tongue weight actually exceeds OEM dongle or whatever you want to call it.

https://www.snomasterusa.com/product/rhino-ox-hitch/

pantalones

Reaction score
I've had the TerrainContacts on for about 2k miles now and am very happy with them so far. Since 99% of my driving in highway, I didn't want to go with anything too aggressive, but I did want something that was somewhat off-road capable for that 1%. I recently took them through some forest service roads in the North Georgia mountains and they had no issues with mud, rocks, water crossings, etc.

20190325_142553362_iOS.jpg

rt10516

Reaction score
It's the Rhino hitch and it always draws a crowd. @mpinco and I have both had it for a few years and it's great. It has obvious benefits in terms of departure angle. Once you see how it clamps/bolts to the frame/bumper, you will see how strong it is. Tongue weight actually exceeds OEM dongle or whatever you want to call it.

https://www.snomasterusa.com/product/rhino-ox-hitch/

@cperez Nice hitch. I'm thinking of getting one. How did you get the plastic bumper cover on? Did you have to do some cutting and is it removable without removing the hitch? Thanks

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get the plastic bumper cover on? Did you have to do some cutting and is it removable without removing the hitch? Thanks

Yes I broke out the Dremel and essentially turned the cover into two halves. I can easily remove the left half when I’m towing and need to access my Atlantic British wiring harness interface.

If you do get a Rhino let me know. I can take some photos and measurements of my 2-part OEM hitch cover so you can replicate it without too much test fitting.

rt10516

Reaction score
Thanks. I called Todd at Snowmaster and he explained it as well. He also said he now includes a template to help cut the cover. I ordered the hitch and if I have any issues I'll let you know. Thanks for posting the info, this will be much better than the OEM hitch

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut