Rhythmic pulsing vibration noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexander

Reaction score
So I noticed a vibration noise that sort of rhythmically pulses at highway speeds (60-70mph) coming from my driver side front wheel. I got the tires balanced and swapped the two fronts to see if it was a tire issue but it stayed at the driver side wheel. I also notice a similar vibration/noise at about 2500 rpm when accelerating at lower speeds, this particular one I can feel under my feet. I'm not sure if these two are connected. Has anyone else had this issue or have an idea of what it could be? CV axle? Wheel bearing?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May not be it but sounds a lot like mine last fall which turned out to be the front half shafts.

One test is letting off the throttle. If it goes away, it'd obviously not wheel related. If it continues even while just coasting, it's probably not the half shafts (axles)

Next add in weighting/loading each side like in a tight bend but at enough speed like 45-65. Depending on what you observe, it'll signify yes/no to wheel bearing/hubs.

Mine was guessed by Indy tech due to coasting smoothly but throbbing under acceleration which is essentially a load onto the driveline. He put up on a rack and immediately showed me the loose play in the front half shafts.

The dealer hadnt figured it out...even after replacing the drive shaft and some other front end parts. Luckily under warranty .

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, did you ever figure out the reason for this?

I am feeling something similar, right around 70mph

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, did you ever figure out the reason for this?

I am feeling something similar, right around 70mph

The best way to test if it's the half shafts is to let off the gas pedal and coast. If the issue quits for that time, then it's most likely them.

The purpose of pressing the gas solidly vs coasting is to see if loading the driveline causes it or not. A wheel bearing however will do it's thing more when you swerve to one side or the other. This loads a wheel sideways and makes it worse for a moment.

Suspension parts are found by applying the brakes firmly near stopping but then letting off and back on again. You'll be able to feel a clunk as the bushings shift inside the metal housings. Sway bar bushings do this pretty obviously.

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to test if it's the half shafts is to let off the gas pedal and coast. If the issue quits for that time, then it's most likely them.

The purpose of pressing the gas solidly vs coasting is to see if loading the driveline causes it or not. A wheel bearing however will do it's thing more when you swerve to one side or the other. This loads a wheel sideways and makes it worse for a moment.

I think it was present when the gas was on and off... It is very repetitive pulsing, a little bit faster than 1Hz. Not the normal bad wheel bearing noise.

It has brand new tires... Ill do a bit more playing around tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV