Rivian SUV thoughts? Looks like an LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to be the first solid LR4 electric replacement option and quite honestly LR should have been all over it before rivian.
Similar boxy looks, 3 row, very capable off road, top reviewed Demuro car of all time. When he goes through it, all the features are exactly like our Model Y, which we love but just doesn't have the space.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a reservation for the R1S, from 2020. I’m hoping to be able to get the 410+ mile range pack though, which isn’t offered yet. I figure that range is what’s needed at a minimum to go remote.

I’ve driven the R1T and it’s amazing, so I’m hoping the R1S is even better.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love electric vehicles for many reasons, but I'd caution anyone who likes to do backcountry travel to read up on how much range they have off road. I believe even the long-range R1T was only getting around 80 miles in back-country travel.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me it resembles more a Bronco mashed with a Suburban but nonetheless that is the least of my concerns with purchasing a Rivian. I am more concerned about Dealer network and support post purchase. Basically non-existent and on a vehicle that is full of tech and first foray into the Automotive world I would want extensive coverage and support because there definitely will be issues as there are recalls in effect as we speak and they're only hitting the roads not long ago.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric just keeps getting better and better. Batteries and range are going to continue to get better, too, but as @ryanjl said, currently the real offroad range is still a bit low for some things. I've heard that a full charge in a Rivian is good to about 150 miles or so of mixed-terrain offroading. That's feasible for most of the stuff I would be doing.

The R1S looks good in many ways, but the LR4 actually took the place of my Chevy Astro for hauling PA and music gear to gigs. I can (just barely) fit my entire PA and gear in the LR4, and it is filled pretty much to the top behind the seats when I do that. So the R1S looks like it has nowhere near the cargo capacity.

What I really would love to see is affordable fitments for existing vehicles with EV motors and batteries. I know it would be a nightmare to do all the integration with existing systems, but I hate to see perfectly good vehicles like the LR going to boneyards when I could make a new vehicle out of it.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually looking at a mix type of approach. Either keeping my 2015 LR4 as long as I can or getting a at some point used new Defender PLUS one of the new Vanderhall Brawley's.

The Brawley is technically a side by side that's fully enclosed with heat and AC. It's not street legal but here in Arizona we can get side by sides licensed to take on the streets so I'm not so worried about that part as some people might be outside of Arizona. I'm looking at the 200 mile range(I was told thats 200 offroad miles BUT not 100% sure on that) they have 3 models and the top model list price is $49k plus a few extra thousand for the extra batteries to get it from the standard 140 mile range to 200 range.

I haven't seen one in person or anything but I wanna say the first orders have started being filled and should get some good reviews/feedback on them soon. Not a family hauler thats for sure but to pair it with another Land Rover would allow me to spread out the miles plus not throw down over $100k on some other EV only truck/SUV.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the Brawley more of a side-by-side or a car?

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the Brawley more of a side-by-side or a car?
it's a SxS. not gonna be legal to plate as a road car. if you can plate an atv/utv where you are this would be a cool runabout.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
35gs for a side by side? That’s not inflation that’s just ridiculous.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I really would love to see is affordable fitments for existing vehicles with EV motors and batteries. I know it would be a nightmare to do all the integration with existing systems, but I hate to see perfectly good vehicles like the LR going to boneyards when I could make a new vehicle out of it.
It would be awesome to convert an LR4, would be a great platform when batteries get smaller.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72