Roof glass.....damn.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went on a trip with the fam a week or so ago. The trip is about 4 hours one way. During the return trip, I heard a loud "WHACK". Sounded like a rock bounced off the roof. A the time, I thought nothing of it.

That is...until I went to mount the roof rack. Sure enough there is a pock mark and a nice 7-8 inch crack in the roof glass. :argh:

LR is due for maintenance, so I am bringing it to the stealership to have them do the work.

Anybody been through this as well? So far, the insurance company sounded as if they had no idea what I was talking about. They kept saying "sunroof". I hope this is not going to be a PITA.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your glass. that sucks.

i had my sunroof suddenly shatter on me 4 years ago. no identifiable cause. possibly pressure/heat change? :confused: thankfully it wasn't the roof glass. i thought for sure the dealership was going to hose me and not replace it thinking i did something stupid to break it on my own. thankfully, they replaced it free of charge. it took me over a year though to get all the pieces of glass out of the car. there's probably still a few shards in there somewhere.

i am picking up my used craigslist expedition rack in 3 weeks. hopefully, i don't discover anything bad up on top of the truck as well.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few crack (three). It's pretty expensive if not covered by insurance. As always, dealer experiences vary significantly. Here's to hoping!

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your glass. that sucks.

i had my sunroof suddenly shatter on me 4 years ago. no identifiable cause. possibly pressure/heat change? :confused: thankfully it wasn't the roof glass. i thought for sure the dealership was going to hose me and not replace it thinking i did something stupid to break it on my own. thankfully, they replaced it free of charge. it took me over a year though to get all the pieces of glass out of the car. there's probably still a few shards in there somewhere.

i am picking up my used craigslist expedition rack in 3 weeks. hopefully, i don't discover anything bad up on top of the truck as well.

Nicely done on the rack. Post up pics.

FWIW - a friend of mine owns Lamin-X auto films. I am going to approach him about making a sheet of the stuff for the roof. Maybe I could setup a group buy if others are interested.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few crack (three). It's pretty expensive if not covered by insurance. As always, dealer experiences vary significantly. Here's to hoping!

Yeah....*sigh* .:frown:

Hey Nathan, BTW - CONGRATS on the new to you AT trailer. Very cool find. Great price. (saw the thread on Expo Portal). I know you have wanted one of those.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 08 showed up with a crack on the drivers side rear section from the factory. It looks like someone over torqued a bolt.

I don't recall the exact price, but 900 bucks sticks in my head. Covered of course by Land Rover, took a couple of weeks to get the glass panel shipped too.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Insurance dood showed up early this morning. Total tally - Just under $1000. Goes in on Friday to be repaired.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a photo of the crack...

RoofGlass.jpg

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to think about getting that film.

Maybe I should call my insurance company and see if it'd be covered first.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72