Roof Rack Flooring and EO2 Case mount project.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all of the camping, boating, travel that my family has been and will be doing this summer, I had a lot of things to get organized and pack for various trips. I needed to be able to pack out 4 people with all the gear to tent camp at a primitive site (no power/water, etc).

So, I wanted to come up with more flooring area for my roof rack (Voyager Off-Road low profile rack). I also wanted a lot of storage space for sleeping bags, self-inflating air pads, pillows, bulky light stuff that takes up space in the vehicle. I wanted lots of space, but at a minimal height. I bought some Pelican 1730 Transport cases which is 37.5" x 27.13" x 14.37".... that 14" height is perfect... not too high.

I bought a 1630 Pelican for use as a camp kitchen/supply box. It is pretty heavy by itself (more so than the larger cases) but its going to mostly stay in the back anyway.

The flooring is just PolyMax chicken coop flooring... from Farmtek

The key to this project is the EO2 mounting system. You can use it in various configurations. You use a bottom mount and a snaptop rail. They snap together easily and require a specific motion, pull from one side, from the outside end, to pop it off. These snaptop rails have locks for a more secure lock. They are very sturdy and well made. I added feet to the cases to keep them from rocking, but I have no doubt that the EO2 could handle a lot more dynamic load than what im using this for.

I plan on having some great shots at camp sites this summer, in Iowa, Colorado,etc. but for now, some install and poser driveway stuff..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqnKOH1JpoI

wBaxxeqa5GGiRTxdNLJnFiioHXwWoD7cNRUy=w1201-h901-no.jpg

YI0CPu-fDkhHUNrY7tF9uMskPWzosp-ezGH=w1082-h1442-no.jpg

esDbWF-4UPx--IBqi9nqKGI9LDpwWQn_S_F=w1082-h1442-no.jpg

naPTlBHroSC-1muP88I0rFj3GnRu_pg29_37=w1201-h901-no.jpg

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to take some shots with the cases on the rack in its final form.. but here is roughly what they look like. This is before the mounts, so they are sitting 3/4" lower here.

dDI2zbIVWaKbmaD9SqzI_39wQrhnwWi77FOd=w1201-h892-no.jpg

JTk3ULz1qQ1JYrNU2ia1r106-gGRYBZzdD4p=w1201-h892-no.jpg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The overland journal LR4 also had the EO2 mounts on it. I don't think they publicized it enough though. Great system.

LR4_Snow%20(4).jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was AWESOME!

I have been wanting to do this for my Pelican cases, but have not had a chance. Could you please let me know exactly what you bought from EO2 as far as mounts? You and I have a similar roof top setup, but I would like to add the EO2 mounts. Thanks so much!

Regards, David

PS....feel free to PM me.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was AWESOME!

I have been wanting to do this for my Pelican cases, but have not had a chance. Could you please let me know exactly what you bought from EO2 as far as mounts? You and I have a similar roof top setup, but I would like to add the EO2 mounts. Thanks so much!

Regards, David

PS....feel free to PM me.

Heading out for camping in 1 minute, but I will get back to you with specifics on the whole project. Nothing I did was that difficult, but I can give you measurements and such to help speed up the entire project.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought,

2x 16" SnapTop Rail with lock EO1004
2x Low Profile Bottom Rail, 22" EO2001
2x Mounting hardware Kit #2 EO2501
2x Mounting Hardware Kit #1 EO2500

I used the plastic yakima round bar mounts, but I cut the bolts down (roof glass clearance is fine, but you need to cut them down). Used big flat washers on the under side of the plastic with a lock nut under that. The bottom rails needed to be mounted across the vehicle rather than front to back like you see other EO2 setups simply because of where the bars are on the voyager. You could probably get a longer bottom rail and mount front-to-back. This setup works well for huge cases because I can roll the case over the mount across the vehicle. This setup would suck without the flooring to roll the case on.

More details to follow.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put these over on exp portal, but figured I would cross post some pics.

IMG_20150613_104159.jpg

IMG_20150613_122620.jpg

IMG_20150612_173728_zpsqbadzvkz.jpg

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a great setup for the roof! Nice work. I expect if any of us see you out on the road/trail we'll recognize you right away. . I had to chuckle when I saw the camping chairs. Those things are the biggest pain for me when packing. I have a different style - the type that fold flat. But they're just awkward and big. The most common use of my rack is to carry those things and a table. I have a couple of the smaller backpacking chairs which are great in a pinch but not for lounging.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut