Roof Rack Roof Top Tent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey_Z LR3

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newbie and first post so apologies ahead if this has been posted elsewhere and I missed it. Looking for full length roof rack to mount roof top tent. Have looked at Prospeed, Voque, Baja and Front Runner and looking for anyone that using one of these for same purpose. Rooftop tent I am considering one of the Condor or iKamper. I will mount toward back of LR3 allowing for small storage forward on remaining rack space. It is for a '06 LR3.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't committed to a RTT yet, but I did get the full Baja rack last summer. I like it from an Engineering/Quality standpoint, and styling too. To fit a tent you have to also get some crossbars from Baja....I don't think they are particularly expensive though.

Joey_Z LR3

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, seeing I am not looking to do crazy remote off road, the primary purpose is the tent. So leaning towards FrontRunners set up. Flat and stream line when tent is not on it. Thanks

Reaction score
Front runner is likely your best off-the-shelf option.

I inherited a 3/4 Voyager expedition rack with my 08. Not loving it. I modified it to fix broken mounting legs (very poor design) and added extruded aluminum for a legit load space floor. It’s manageable now but not what I want.

I’m having a custom one fabricated by a local guy who’s amazing and reasonable but a tad slow (can’t have all three). I’m modeling it closely to the front runner in overall look but longer out past the front roof drop to the windshield line so I can tuck lights under it and have more storage with a RTT at any mounting point. I’m leaning towards tent just behind the front sunroof with storage fore and aft. Just working through the weight vs. strength decisions now for the build. I’m sure after my first use I’ll rearrange everything anyway. Lol.

Joey_Z LR3

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know and we are looking to accomplish the same things. Voyager was on my list but really was always really ProSpeed or FrontRunner

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve always liked the look of the prospeed. It kind of has the look of the factory rack, but much lower profile. Ultimately I made my own. It was sufficient to get my RTT home and drive around for a week or so until my trailer was ready. Really all you NEED for the RTT is something with a large enough flat space and capacity to handle the weight. The way they mount, they fit almost anything as long as you can get under enough to tighten the bolts.

Joey_Z LR3

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I have zeroed in on Frontrunner 3/4 and RoofNest as the rtt. I know if I get the full size rack I will just pack more than is necessary.

maxx4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We sport the Frontrunner roof rack for the last few years and love it - easy to add/remove accessories - easy to put together and build quality is good - has quick mount tent mounts available but you'll have to check your specific RTT. I'm also contemplating adding a tent but haven't done so on the Rover as of yet but I've helped others mount their tents to the frontrunner racks and they're as easy as it can be. Hope that helps some.

ggrupea

Reaction score
Hi, I have a roof rack and a top tent. Somethings I have learned on my 2 years with it:

1. Always have on mind the weight. This could be your worst enemy.
2. Always look for a brand who have spare parts for your roof tent. Someday you will need them.
3. take on mid the size and weight distribution when installed.
4. Don't mind about aerodinamic. With roof rack and roof tent, you will not have aerodinamic. Think on carrying some extra fuel.
5. Ladder size, if you will park with your disco with suspension in high configuration, your ladder could stay hanged. In my case, I had to buy an extra ladder.
6. Take care about prices, cheap could turn into expensive. Look for good quality, ARB is a good option but very expensive when you compare it with others, but good quality and it have spares.

Hope this help you on your chose.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA