Rooftop Step via door latch stocking stuffer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't really want one of these things, but ended up getting it for Christmas.

Has anyone used one or have thoughts on it?

I'm not sure I like the pressure it would put against the plastic plate below our door latch. I also think with repeated use it'll scratch the paint there.

If I keep it I'll probably put some protection film or rubber on the end of it so it doesn't mark the car. But I don't think I'll use it. I do pretty good just standing on the tires. (although sometimes I need to reach high and something like this would be nice)

2v2EatjDPxvn42L.jpg

2v2EatjVmxvn42L.jpg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never used one but if you got it for Christmas, someone has taken note that you're a LR enthusiast so that's nice. I would be more concerned about eventually pulling the latch loop out of alignment because it's not designed for vertical pressure.

Bottom line though is that I would keep it in your gear bag for special case use. It might just be a lifesaver someday or may allow another passenger to use it to lend a pair of hands when dealing with rooftop loads.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A co-worker sent me a link and I ordered it on a whim/impulse buy. I have not received it, but if you look on the site, it says to only use it on "U" shaped door latches. Soooo, not what we have. especially with the plastic the extends around it. I am way too afraid to use it.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A co-worker sent me a link and I ordered it on a whim/impulse buy. I have not received it, but if you look on the site, it says to only use it on "U" shaped door latches. Soooo, not what we have. especially with the plastic the extends around it. I am way too afraid to use it.
I used it once to test it out.
I also noticed on some other ads for this device, some of them had a rubber bumper on the end that rests against the car.

I would be happy using this on the LR4 if (1) it wasn't pressing against that plastic piece and (2) I had the rubber bumper/shield thing.

As it is, maybe I'll throw it in my wife's car.

sailor96

Reaction score
I've seen these- Powerbuilt or hitchmate makes these-
not as high as the other- but an alternative

hitchmate.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member