Rover Fan... LR2 Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K8Rover

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for your expertise in advance!
First love was cars, had access to Bill Harrah's Auto Collection as my playground... love my 2015 LR2 which I bought new but it is frustrating me right now. Thought this would be the right place to learn more about my car, get some feedback from you guys and gals who live the Rover life.

My LR2 has suffered a waterfall of issues starting when a mechanic at Range Rover did a shoddy job repairing a slight oil leak around my timing cover, in which he failed to attach vacuum hoses correctly and left a bolt out of the catalytic converter. They gave me the car like that and only after I complained a few times in the next 50 miles did they say bring it back in - they were embarrassed by the vacuum hose issue, etc.... To date, they have under warranty replaced the turbo, the transmission because of rough shift and clunking in reverse (only), the fuel pump, said the catalytic converter was feeding fumes into my cab which they fixed, they cracked the manifold so they had to replace it, then they replaced the valve body on the brand new (not remanufactured) transmission. (reminder: The transmission was replaced because of rough shifting and a clunk when reversing only at about 3 seconds into reverse.)

After a combined 10 dealer stays, (thank gosh for loaner cars) and a total of 4 months of not having my car as it was in and out for repairs (once for a span of 5 weeks), they swore Friday, July 12th that it passed QA and was 100% good to go...

Drove it home in a celebratory mood! Parked at a local retailer. Upon returning to my car, in reverse at about the 3-second mark it CLUNKED exactly as before. Loud enough for outsiders to hear and I can feel it in my brake pedal, in my seat... never clunks in turns, over bumps, going forward, only 3 seconds into reverse on flat ground or incline.

I have researched as much as I could to date as I am trying to get a feel for what could be the clunking issue... differential? And the car is still hesitating before a slightly hard shift at 20mph and 30mph, even with the new transmission.

I am at a loss. I love my car. It is in impeccable condition except for the mechanical... I regret the tiny oil leak repair that started this fiasco... Any ideas?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Depending on mileage, it almost sounds like it is a slack issue in the driveline, but this use to be a major issue in the older vehicles before a U-Joint would come apart. Not sure on the Lr2

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA