RPM Needle Flickering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 LR4 RPM Needle Flickering..... this is going to drive me crazy.... Anyone have a fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGLR4

Reaction score
Some of us have found this to be due to old transmission fluid. It appears that the old fluid affects the torque converter which does not slip or engage correctly which leads to these rpm fluctuations.

See this thread:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/strange-rpm-fluctuation-101929/

I did a simple drain and fill initially which only exchanges a small portion. I noticed some improvement but in order to get a sufficient amount of new fluid in this would have to be done 2 or maybe even 3 times. Its somewhat of a pain to fill because the engine needs to be running and you are working right near a hot exhaust pipe. I ended up doing a full exchange which you can do by hooking up some tubes to input and output lines. This allowed a full exchange of all fluid to fresh. This solved my RPM fluctuation issue about 1,000 miles ago and it has not returned.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of us have found this to be due to old transmission fluid. It appears that the old fluid affects the torque converter which does not slip or engage correctly which leads to these rpm fluctuations.

See this thread:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/strange-rpm-fluctuation-101929/

I did a simple drain and fill initially which only exchanges a small portion. I noticed some improvement but in order to get a sufficient amount of new fluid in this would have to be done 2 or maybe even 3 times. Its somewhat of a pain to fill because the engine needs to be running and you are working right near a hot exhaust pipe. I ended up doing a full exchange which you can do by hooking up some tubes to input and output lines. This allowed a full exchange of all fluid to fresh. This solved my RPM fluctuation issue about 1,000 miles ago and it has not returned.

I was referring to the actual light on the needle, it is flickering. I can see it in my in my peripheral vision, while I’m driving.

AGLR4

Reaction score
Lol, well changing the ATF won't help that... good luck[emoji106]

Jon Crady

Reaction score
Its the little leds failing. It can be fixed by changing those out. they are soldered in place and it does require some level of skill but i have fixed a bunch of them.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing this fall. Assumed it was an led failing...I left it alone and it “fixed” itself (now it is lit up and no longer flickers).

Gotta say, it’s probably the first and last time the old girl will self heal, but here’s to hoping yours does the same.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It self healed, but now she sprung an oil leak. I would much rather have the flickering needle again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV