RR HSE 2010 Dead Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR3Trav

Reaction score
Good morning all.

I have a MY '10 RR HSE. This is the 3rd time I have had a dead battery while driving. Error messages show up on dash prior to car shutting off. "Gear Box Fault", "Charging System Fault", "Emergency Barkeepers Assist Not Available".

Had it towed to my Indie shop and was told this time that it appears to be an oil leak dripping on to the alternator and shorting it out. This time it lasted about a year and a half. He thinks that it could be coming from any number of places, including the valve cover or a pulley above the alternator.

Does anyone have an idea of where else this could be coming from? Is this a common problem for this MY? Never overheated and all maintenance done on schedule since new.

Thank you

Travis

Adrien

Reaction score
Just wondering, have you replaced the battery and alternator at the same time? Ive heard that sometimes if a new alternator is installed with a bad battery or vice versa it can cause the charging circuit to stop feeding power. The "Gear box fault" will almost always come on when the input voltage to the transmission gets too low, along with various other systems that one by one will cease to function properly as the voltage keeps dropping. Have you noticed any orange coolant residue on the front of the engine? My alternator slowly degraded and finally failed due to coolant leaking from the crossover and water pump corroding it. Let me know if you have gotten this solved as I'd love to know what it was!

Adrien

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV