Rusted out voyager sliders/steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may recall a I posted a thread about how I had started to notice rust on my sliders after just 4 months and one winter. I contacted Voyager and their only suggestion was to ship it back and forth to them at my expense ($$$) only to have them recoat it with the same crappy process. I declined.

Two years later I attempt to remove them and get them refinished and the extent of the rust is frightening. Not only are the steps basically trash, but they have affected the leading edge of the car in contact with them. So at this point I will sand down the affected area, prime it with a 2-part epoxy primer, and not paint, but instead use 3M undercarriage rubber. I am confident this will address the car element.

I am fairly enraged by the fact that these steps cost me $1000 and now they are garbage and have affected my car to some extent. Also, I hate that they are so heavy. At the time I recall looking for aluminum steps and not finding any. Dammit.

Anyhow, as my kids are a bit older (almost 7 and almost 9) they do not need the steps as much as they did 3 years ago, but it would still be nice to have them as this is a tall SUV.

The question I am wrestling with is:

1) Go back to stock and put the plastic runners back on.

2) Spend another $1k and get an aluminum version of these steps (basically what I could not find 3 years ago). See link below for terrafirma sliders.

Amazon.com: LAND ROVER LR3 LAND ROVER LR4 ROCK SLIDERS W/ TREE BARS SIDE STEPS TERRAFIRMA: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41uTFkjXtPL.@@AMEPARAM@@41uTFkjXtPL

3) Do a half-assed job at trying to remove the rust, apply rust reformer liberally, and apply the 3M undercarriage rubber spray, hope they last two more years and then toss them. This will cost time which is fairly precious to me right now.

Thoughts?

(pictures to follow)

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has always been my concern living in the rust belt. I've wanted rear bumper and sliders for a while but they get ruined so fast. I wonder if anyone who lives with salt has found something that lasts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA