Rusty/Brown/Bronze Brake Calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
I recently got new brakes, rotors, and calipers at my local indy shop. The calipers were covered under warranty because they 3/4 seized. Now, after about 6 months, 2 out of the 4 are bronzish color, almost look rusted. See pics below - one normal and one bronze. The bad ones are front R and rear L. Any thoughts? Thanks!

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agree. cheaper steel, bad coating, corrosion. hopefully it stays as cosmetic corrosion, but if it gets into the seal area, they may have a shorter life than OEM (or higher quality aftermarket)

you could go through the work to remove and paint them.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cant hurt to ask the shop. you could also pull a wheel off and look for a sign of part numbers.

when looking over those photos again, the first photo is definitely surface rust. the second photo looks to be gold toned, mostly likely the caliper finish.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
All of the calipers started as the same color....

any simple way to know if they are OEM before I give the shop a hard time?

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
The shop owner is claiming that they are OEM, but not new, instead he used “remanufactured” calipers. He also said that the pads are OEM, although I see the lettering on the pads with an AK AS3... number on one and AK ACT... number on the other. Are those OEM? Seems to me that these could be Akebono? Can someone with original LR4 pads please confirm? 2016 HSE. Thanks!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they are probably remans with a cheap anodized coating on them. AK? Yeah likely Akebono. Good pads.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop owner is claiming that they are OEM, but not new, instead he used “remanufactured” calipers. He also said that the pads are OEM, although I see the lettering on the pads with an AK AS3... number on one and AK ACT... number on the other. Are those OEM? Seems to me that these could be Akebono? Can someone with original LR4 pads please confirm? 2016 HSE. Thanks!

the cast pieces may have been OEM, but i do not think Land rover sells re-manufactured calipers; they only sell new calipers. they also sell a reseal kit, for someone else to rebuild the calipers.
your calipers were most likely refinished and re-manufactured (resealed) by an aftermarket company. do you have an itemized receipt? OEM calipers cost around $450-550 each. that right there would give you a red flag if your cost is too low.

OEM brake pads will have a LR part number printed on the backing plate. i would also assume "AK" printing means Akebono.

FYI, id be happy with any pads besides OEM....they dusted wayyyy too much.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
I don’t mind aftermarket, but the owner is telling me that everything is OEM and that “you can’t use aftermarket parts because they don’t last”

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV