Safari Gard Hippo Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sharing this for general interest. The Safari Gard Hippo Hitch caught my eye when I saw it on IG recently (@safarigardLLC). I’m happy with my Rhino Hitch but nice to see other thick-hided beasts getting into the game. Fitment for LR3/LR4 and RRS.

Latest pricing I saw was $450 + S&H when you go through their social media accounts.

13F2811B-639A-4EEC-97D8-AB66B04A1668.jpeg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price point makes it a solid alternative to the OEM dongle, and there are a lot of advantages to the higher mounting location along the back bumper which is a feature of both the Rhino and this Hippo.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safari Gard was a relatively "big" name in aftermarket Rover parts back when the original Defender was being imported into the U.S. (94, 95, and 97). From what I gather, the name has had a tumultuous path to present day, having changed owners a few times.

These things look interesting. I'm on the lookout for a good way to mount my mountain bike to the rear without absolutely ruining my rear departure angle.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safari Gard was a relatively "big" name in aftermarket Rover parts back when the original Defender was being imported into the U.S. (94, 95, and 97). From what I gather, the name has had a tumultuous path to present day, having changed owners a few times.

These things look interesting. I'm on the lookout for a good way to mount my mountain bike to the rear without absolutely ruining my rear departure angle.
I love the way my Thule 2-bike tray carrier sits in the Rhino. However I'm sure that the overhang would impact departure angle if I drove offroad. Seems like one of those strap and hook carrier designs would keep the bikes pretty far off the ground (short of a roof mount but who wants to do that on a tall vehicle like these).

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to use a tray mount bike rack because I have a carbon frame on my mountain bike.

I just have a single mount 1-UP rack. I like it because when it is mounted and folded up, I still have full functionality of the rear tailgate without having to do anything to the bike rack. Here's a photo I've posted on here before: https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/bike-racks-any-ideas.30040/page-3#post-183164

I think that only works with the hitch down as low as it is, though. With the Safari Gard hitch, I'd probably have fold down the bike rack to use the rear tailgate. Not too big a deal, but something to consider.

Moreso than that, however, I'm not really sure how much departure angle I'd gain.

There's other interesting solutions, like this one on an 80 series Land Cruiser:

But it looks like that guy did some modifications to a swing out rear bumper to mount his bike rack, and then has to keep mounting his spare underneath. Seems like an extreme solution.

The answer for me may be some sort of roof rack setup. Or, more likely, to just realize that my bike trips to Colorado are more focused on one area where I normally stay in a hotel, and if I want to wheel I can just place the bike and the rack in the hotel room.

SkiWill

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a hippo hitch or seen one in person that can comment on how well built it is? I know that the Ox hitch had a batch with a lot of weld failures.

Any reason why it would not work with a tactical 4x4 rear bumper installed?

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally happy with mine. Seems well constructed. My brother is a fabricator and he too felt it was up to *****. Installs with no issue on a T44 bumper. I don’t have a pic of it but there’s no issue. I think Safari gard might have a pic on their IG account.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut