scratch in black plastic molding around wheel well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H

hooknows

Did some off roading yesterday and came back and after washing the vehicle I noticed a small 3 inch scratch in the black plastic molding around the front tire. The scratch is not very deep, probably only about a millimeter, but you can still see it. I was hoping there was a way I could get the scratch out. I used some 1500 grit fine sandpaper and it seemed to be working but I think I made it more noticable because the molding has a slight texture to it and the sandpaper wore a little of the texture away. So, any ideas.... or once its scratched nothing can be done?

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick a fork in it.

It's done. Textured plastic is not repairable.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastic bits are sacrifical. It seems to be working brilliantly for you. Far less expensive than refinishing sheet metal, eh?

Eekie

Reaction score
If you took it off road, why are you stressing over a 3 inch scratch? If your worried about scratches that small you should keep her on the road. Trail riding is not ding or scratch proof..... I'm just making an observation and mean no disrespect.

H

hooknows

eekie, not really stressing over it, just would like to know if it will come out. i pretty much just ride sand dunes and stuff so it won't get scratched. however sometimes i have to go thru a narrow trail that i just fit thru and i touch a branch or two. guess i touched one too hard this time! also, i wanted to try to fix it before the wife saw it...
oh well, guess she'll spot it eventually, they always do!

Eekie

Reaction score
Well, if you worried about the scratch because of the wife, I quess your excused. Your man card will not be revoked. LOL

I bought my Disco II used and with a few scratches on her already. The scratches were a standard with that model. I can put more scratches on her and my wife will never know..."what scratch honey, oh that was there when I bought it".......

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has lots of little scratches in the paint. Most of them I can buff out so I at least don't notice them as much. The deep ones are annoying, I admit. It was either get the whole panel painted or use touch up paint. I ended up using touch-up paint and was happy with the decision. Sure, its still there, but I don't notice it anymore and painting the entire panel would be a waste as I'll just scratch it again....

I know we're talking about plastic here, but I think I'm in the same boat as you. I don't mind getting the rover all filthy, but do like to clean it up when I get back home. Let us know if you find a way to mask your scratch better.

F

faralta

plactic panel scratch

having been in the business...ask your local dealer... most dealers are called on weekly by vendors/craftsmen who canvas the used car selection looking for work to recondition the dealers used car selection. select vendors can remove your scratch, reinstate the textured finish of your plastic panel and paint/blend to match. note: it is not a repair that will last forever, but in many cases it will look much better for a few years.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always just replace the part. It is only around $50.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV