Sell a 2010 and buy a 2013?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple proposition. Should I sell my 2010 and buy a newer 2013 for an additional $22 CAN? Very similar vehicles I know but the mileage is quite a difference.

2010: LR4 Lux, Vision pack . Full load outside HD 160k kms.
2013: LR4 Lux. Full Load outside HD. 45k kms.

So I gain 115 k kms (Aprox 70k miles) and 3 model years for $22 grand...I am siding with keeping the 2010 as a case of it's the devil I know and it currently has zero issues.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... as a case of it's the devil I know and it currently has zero issues.

Ha. And its the kind of devil that you not only know but love so much that you are willing to shell another 22k for putting up with it for a much longer time :)

I get you and know the feeling :)

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What can I say.? Can't think f a replacement so might as well go newer and low mileage.

jhartz

Reaction score
100k miles isn't that much providing you have gone through all the usual replacements (LCA, water pump, maybe timing gear, rotors, fuel filter, tranny and dif oil changes). If none of these, maybe newer is better, cuz you are on borrowed time. Except pads and tires, you shouldn't see these issues at 28K miles on the 13. What's the carfax look like on the 13?

Just got back from the car show in Virginia Beach: new LR/RR all very expensive and each has that damn start/stop system. Most are 4 cylinders. Went out and kissed my 13 RRS/HSE.

That said: the new Lincoln Continental feels a lot like my 01 XJ8L.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you like the RRS? There is a local one for sale (supercharged) for the same coin as the LR4 (both 2013s)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am siding with keeping the 2010 as a case of it's the devil I know and it currently has zero issues.

I was faced with an almost identical scenario EXCEPT for one huge factor-- my 2011 was making some troubling engine sounds that were likely cylinder-related. If not for that, I would have never thought to go looking for another LR4.

Found a 2013 HSE with 30K miles and the price differential was just about what you mentioned. Even though my hand was forced a bit by the engine situation, I'm very happy with the slight upgrades in tech on the '13: better nav/infotainment and voice control, BT streaming from my phone, passive keyless entry, folding mirrors on lock, front parking assist.

I would have felt even more fortunate to have found a LUX for that same price diff. So I'm not really making a recommendation here but only sharing my experience. As mentioned, I never would have shopped for a newer one if that last one had been solid. I also maintained it well so there's no guarantee that the new one will be any different although some issues were reportedly resolved from previous model years (timing chain guides come to mind among other things).

What's your timeframe for deciding or have you already made the call?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at making a move out of the Middle East and to the UK. This is the first vehicle I have loved so much, I want to go buy another. I can't take my left-hand-drive LR4 to the UK, so I need to sell my 2013 V8 and purchase a right-hand-drive in the UK. I am likely going to buy a 2016 with as low miles as possible and with the diesel engine.

Happily going to buy an updated LR4 (Discovery 4) too !

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No time line. In my experience the best time to buy sell vehicles is when there is no pressure to do so. The 2010 is loaded with the passive entry, fridge, vision pack, everything. The water pump was replaced twice last summer (long story, don't use cheap reman parts lol) and so were the front LCAs and front brakes (pads/rotors). No weird noises coming from the front of the engine (aka timing chain tensioners) so all is good.

This summer the current rig will need:

Transmission pan change and fluid swap
Spark plugs
rear rotors and pads

The 2013 despite being low mileage may need... Who knows. I will casually pursue and if I can grind a great price I may buy it and then decide which vehicle to keep. The 2013 RRS is an interesting alternative.

jhartz

Reaction score
I like the Range Rover Sport. 13 was the last of the na V8s. so far, has been very reliable (eats pads and had a bad battery when I was in the hospital). Not sure there is a $10k difference, tho, and there is less space in the back than in the LR3/4s due to angling of the rear window.

Only complaint -- this is a base HSE and was originally purchased in Miami. All of the previous LR3s and my 08 RRS/SC had seat heaters. First cold day last winter (16), wife tells me to turn on the heaters -- oops, no got!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple proposition. Should I sell my 2010 and buy a newer 2013 for an additional $22 CAN? Very similar vehicles I know but the mileage is quite a difference.

2010: LR4 Lux, Vision pack . Full load outside HD 160k kms.
2013: LR4 Lux. Full Load outside HD. 45k kms.

So I gain 115 k kms (Aprox 70k miles) and 3 model years for $22 grand...I am siding with keeping the 2010 as a case of it's the devil I know and it currently has zero issues.
Might I ask how much a 2010 is worth, and how much for a 2013 in Can bucks.

I do not regard my 2005 HSE with 305,000 km on it as worth much on the used LR3 lot, but it still seems to do what it did when new - well actually better now than when new, as at least now, it is more reliable than when new - was not fun back then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72