sensor from hell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5crows

Reaction score
After fixing my whining noise up front (serpentine belt rotation) by figuring out the source was the primary belt tensioner pulley bearings, and replacing the pulley, a new emergency surfaced.

The LR3 had sat around in the weather for a month, waiting for delivery of wrenches, stethoscopes, parts and other magic, needed in order to quiet the noise, and an hour on the road was a burden.

On the way home, I got a Check brake pads error on the display with frequent urgent response needed alerts. Alas, a short lived accomplishment. I had already bought rotors and pads, but no sensors.

Replaced rotors and pads, reused old clips, but saw the sensor was messed up and cracked. Bummer. No way to reseat. I taped it off with some friction tape and all is good with the brakes, but still get the check brake pads error and a constant yellow brake warning on the dash, ordered a front brake wear sensor cable.

I tried to trace back the busted wear sensor, but lost track of it after a couple connectors above the wheel well cowl. It disappeared and I removed about three covers and heat shields. Any secrets to know about this thing, in order to restring the new sensor?

I'm thinking I'll cut the new brake pad clip off it's wire and also the old broken one and try to graft a connection vs figuring out the rabbit trail to this wires end.

5crows

Reaction score
Took the tire off again and saw that the wheel well could be removed. Needed to remove it. About 7-8 screws and 10 of the plastic prong connectors, then take off the fender flare to wrestle it off. Sure enough, there was the top plugin for the sensor. Checked Warning light was off, and it was. I wish the plug was located up in the brake fluid housing, it would have been hours less work. Ended up braking one of the fender flare mounts...

Next time, I will just cut off the old brake pad clip and wire on the new ones. There's just two wires running up that sleeve.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut