Share your most expensive repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everyone! New to the forum. Haven't had much time to do a cursory check but I wanted to see what some of the most expensive repairs you've had to do are and how common they are.

Back when I was buying my 08 VW Touareg (used) I was cross-shopping the LR4.

I know that neither vehicle receives high marks for reliability but I wanted to see how they compare in terms of cost to run. Lately my Touareg has been spending a lot more time in the shop and I'm wondering if an LR4 ((v8 model) would be better, worse, or the same.

Debating on switching or keeping the Touareg. I really like my T-regg, it's a jack-of-all-trades but I have always really liked the LR4 too (just never owned one).

Thanks in advance!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you find a well-maintained LR4, the most expensive repairs would probably be:

Timing chain replacement. The timing chain guides on the 2012 and older models wear out if oil change intervals aren't kept to 7k or lower. Can probably cost around $4500 on up if done at a dealer. In 2013, the guides were redesigned to be better, but still not perfect.

Lower control arm bushings? Generally the whole control arm is replaced. You can DIY for the cost of the parts (around $300), or you can find an indy to do it for around $700. Dealer will want $1,600 or more.

Air compressor/air spring? Again, DIY is cost of parts and not too hard. Dealer will be $1k on up.

Water pump/coolant crossover pipe? $500 or so in parts. Dealer will want $1,500 or so, but you can DIY.

After that, problems are random. The LR4 isn't really unreliable.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing more to add except perhaps the electronic parking brake. I don't believe it's terribly common but when it happens it appears to be a PITA to fix a big $$$ due to labor (time). I used to use my e-brake all the time but now I've been sacred in to occasional use.

Also, at high mileage (100k+?) and seemingly if no service has been performed, the transmission may need servicing and a couple of hundred dollars worth of parts (sleeves, etc.). Again, seemingly not too bad as a DIY, but dealer will likely gouge you.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you find a well-maintained LR4, the most expensive repairs would probably be:

Lower control arm bushings? Generally the whole control arm is replaced. You can DIY for the cost of the parts (around $300), or you can find an indy to do it for around $700. Dealer will want $1,600 or more.

Apparently my Indy charges dealer prices.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$16k worth of damage in a fender bender lol. That rear quarter panel is expensive and ships from the UK. No aftermarket body panels.
IMG_2127.JPG

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. That's pretty close to totalling out a lot of LR4s anymore.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Most expensive to date for me is a new transmission about $8k installed by the dealer and you get a full year warranty, Front diff $2500, DIY Timing Chain still cost me $2500 (for tools, new parts, and injectors [$1000]), DIY High Pressure Fuel Pumps $300 for both, water pump 3x (twice under warranty) maybe around $500 (unsure), suspension fault/miscalibration (bump stops) $375 (with a discount), glass roof and windshield replaced under comprehensive insurance $100 each repair (otherwise $1500+ ea), on my 4th battery at over $150 ea (2 batteries were under warranty), and AAA premier membership for up to 200 miles each call with 4 calls max for the year. AAA charges $80 for each additional call/tow within the year. Basically I have a mechanically brand new LR4 for the price of another used LR4.

But don't let my issues deter you from getting one. If you do get one, look for the sought out HD version.

When it's working properly, it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. When something happens, it's THE most expensive vehicle I own.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut