Should I keep my 2018 LR Discovery Diesel long term?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bock

Reaction score
Got my 18 Discovery Diesel on lease and its now 3 yrs and done. Its only got 45,200 miles on it and I'm considering buying out lease and keeping a looooong time. I use it for work towing small German Horse Trailers 2000-2800 lbs empty 211-14 lbs tongue weight, hauling my own horses and occasionally a small Airstream so it is doing some work. No problems other than the typical leaky windshield and they replaced based on model's reputation. I keep hearing all the global warming folks saying they are going to somehow outlaw diesel fuel and when I got this one it was after a couple other diesels that ended up recalled permanently Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and a paid for Jetta Diesel wagon that was awesome. I'm leaning toward keeping this but if anyone has compelling thoughts either direction pls be brutally honest whether keeping it for another 10 years and a couple hundred thousand miles and enjoy the large size yet drivability of it or bail and get a Defender knowing it will be expensive and regular gas. Also if you've had one and hated it because of some inherent problem speak up . Thx for your candid thoughts.

Attachments

• D55CD0A9-B59E-4033-8B95-AFC4EBAE07E7.jpeg
    D55CD0A9-B59E-4033-8B95-AFC4EBAE07E7.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 45

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love my 2017 D5 Td6 -- one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Just got back to Las Vegas after a trip to Salt Lake City -- 25+ mpg with cruise control set on 80. It's paid for and I wouldn't trade it straight across for a new Defender. The D5 exceeds all other Land Rover vehicles except the New Defender in off road capability, and it equals the New Defender in off road capability except for approach and departure angles.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
38,850. I like the 16,000 mile service interval on the Td6 but I change the oil and filter in my garage at the half way point (will do it at 40,000 miles). Can't get used to 16,000-mile oil changes.

Adrian Taylor

Reaction score
Sell it while you can. Mine suffered catastrophic engine failure (2017 plate with 55k on the clock) cost me 14k for a recon engine and outed it straight away. Out of warranty but still fighting my case, will be going to court if need be.
However if you are willing or now know about the above recommendation to change oil more regular it could well be fine.

flyingdog

Reaction score
I absolutely love my 2017 D5 Td6 -- one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Just got back to Las Vegas after a trip to Salt Lake City -- 25+ mpg with cruise control set on 80. It's paid for and I wouldn't trade it straight across for a new Defender. The D5 exceeds all other Land Rover vehicles except the New Defender in off road capability, and it equals the New Defender in off road capability except for approach and departure angles.
I love my 2017 D5 TD6 as well. Great mileage and room for all my gear. Yeah the windshield was replaced for leaks but that’s been the only issue I’ve had on this vehicle. 40,000 miles on the clock and is as smooth and Quiet as my wife’s Lexus.

sceh

Reaction score
Yes you should. If you buy anything else you will lose a lot of money immediately and you should get et least 350k miles out of your current car and, no, you will not find anything as capable. Keep it. Change the oil and filter regularly (every 6k) and as long as the dreaded LR corrosion doesn't **** it..

Bock

Reaction score
Sell it while you can. Mine suffered catastrophic engine failure (2017 plate with 55k on the clock) cost me 14k for a recon engine and outed it straight away. Out of warranty but still fighting my case, will be going to court if need be.
However if you are willing or now know about the above recommendation to change oil more regular it could well be fine.
Yikes any idea why that is terrifying ): Thank You for sharing though

johnny walker

Reaction score
I think you should sell it to me. 25 mpg at 80 mph! Although my 2018 Escalade ESV gets 21-22 at 75-85 on my 1500 mile Boulder CO to Gulf coast FL trips, where the First wife 2012 LR 4 gets maybe 15.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72