Shutting Down While Driving, Restarting After Cooling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rivrrovr

Reaction score
'02 Discovery SE (bone stock)
Drove to church this morning no trouble. Started right up after church and drove to the restaurant 3 miles away with no problems. Get done eating (app. 45 min. later) and it won't start. It turns over without hesitation but after pulling a plug wire, discover that there's no fire to the plugs. Two hours later it cranked like a new one and ran great for about 4 miles. It shut down while I was driving. No rough idle, no skipping. Just running like it was new right up to the point it shut down. Same scenario as the restaurant parking lot. Spins great but no fire to the plugs. Two hours later it again cranks like a new one. Three miles down the road it shuts down again while I'm driving. Spins but no fire to the plugs. Two hours later it cranks, drives the next 3 miles to my house and shuts down again when I pull in the driveway. 2 hours later, it cranks like the day it was new. Anybody had this trouble or have any ideas?

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove to church this morning no trouble. Started right up after church and drove to the restaurant 3 miles away with no problems. Get done eating (app. 45 min. later) and it won't start. It turns over without hesitation but after pulling a plug wire, discover that there's no fire to the plugs. Two hours later it cranked like a new one and ran great for about 4 miles. It shut down while I was driving. No rough idle, no skipping. Just running like it was new right up to the point it shut down. Same scenario as the restaurant parking lot. Spins great but no fire to the plugs. Two hours later it again cranks like a new one. Three miles down the road it shuts down again while I'm driving. Spins but no fire to the plugs. Two hours later it cranks, drives the next 3 miles to my house and shuts down again when I pull in the driveway. 2 hours later, it cranks like the day it was new. Anybody had this trouble or have any ideas?

Is it throwing any codes your way?

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If no codes - check wiring harness leading to your coil-paks - that's one place to start. The clean break between running and not running makes me think electrical but the real expert on these is Disco Mike.

Wolf:bandit:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
This sounds like a crank position sensor.... but heads up I would not recommend removing plug wires unless you like buying a new ECU.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a new crank sensor, pretty common issue on Discos.

hi_arshard

Reaction score
over heating in hill or traffic

hi,

Even i have a similar problem in my disco 1 95 auto.

It runs great in the highway I normally drive 140 to 160 KMPH it runs smooth & pulls like a train without any problems.

2 days back I went on a trip traveled almost 200 km & then started climbing a hill in a average traffic climbed around 3 km then suddenly the engine stopped I managed to start the engine again once engaged the gear it stops. I checked the water (coolant) level is fine it was boiling hot, replace the hot water with cold.

After around 1 hour started back home it was running great as usual.

This problem happens only in traffic & hill climbing, when the car is running in low speed, stopping frequently like traffic the engine stops have to keep it for minimum 1 hour to get cold than after words it runs normal.

Please advice what could be the issue & where should I start to fix it???

thank you,

rivrrovr

Reaction score
Thanks a Ton

Replaced the crank sensor today and so far this seems to have remedied the problem. That's a tough fix for anybody with big forarms. Quite a tight squeeze between the frame rail and the exhaust. Just wanted to give a BIG THANK YOU to everybody that replied to my post. Hopefully somebody else can use this info in the future.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: crank sensor & sensors in general

This sounds like a crank position sensor.... but heads up I would not recommend removing plug wires unless you like buying a new ECU.

Hey Joey;

But of course - I replaced mine before it got to that state so I was unaware of how much trouble they can cause (I should have known as the 'book' states that your CPS is the most important sensor on your mill). Anyway, now I know what to look for when my new one eventually 'goes south.'

Speaking of which, and supposing you had the dough on hand, at what point in an engine's life would you think of just doing a universal swap out of all sensors that had been subjected to a lot of heat? Approx. - mileage? I know most of us, including yours truly, will try and nurse them along until they comletely give up the ghost - but lets say you were going out on an expedition and guessing about old sensors could prove very costly; what say you?

BTW - Tornado Computer/Software Systems out of the UK is apparently building superior sensors for GEMS engines. Let me find out more about this and I will get back to you.

Wolf

rivrrovr

Reaction score
sensors

Everything seems to hold up good til you get around that 100k mark. I think this must be some industry standard. If I were going deep into the boonies and money were no object, I'd go ahead and replace any sensor that had the capability of shutting me down. Any other sensors would be in a dry box in the back along with and handful of other parts and tools. I've been stuck out in the woods before (Jeeps and Samurais) and there's no place worse to have to do repairs especially when somebody has to come find you (good luck!) and then shuttle you to town for parts.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Buy them maybe, swap them only after they quit working money is no object here as you say, so I would store the new ones till you need them. Case in point. I have a 1992 Buick Roadmaster with 250k miles on it. I have changed the alternator 3 times, the battery 3 times... fuel temp sensor in the last year. O2 sensors are still factory, all other sensors are still factory.... don't get me wrong apples and oranges... but my Disco has 148k miles I have change the front 2 O2 sensors (fuel economy was lagging) this was before my ECU upgrade. I have a VSS in the glove box, need to get a Brake switch and put in glove box... all other sensors still factory. Battery changed 2 times... brakes once since I bought it over 50k ago. That is it.... buy spares sure, but don't use them till you need them. What is the point, as the old adage states "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72