Skid Plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have researched this before and have some notes. Im curious what the opinions are for what the best options for LR4 front sump/skid plates are and what options are good for gas tank and other things. Excluding door sill rock sliders, I think thats covered well.

So, ASFIR steering/engine skid plate? Umbertob has that i think?

Rocker Armor sump gaurd from british4x4outfiters? Doesnt look as good.

Devon4x4? (advantage if you go with their hidden winch kit). Can they ship to the states again now?

Anyway, whats the word on this. I need to get some front protection before I start wheeling with the local jeep club in the spring. I got a bunch of new recovery gear setup over the last few months, CB, new rugged ridge tow strap, d-shackles, VIAIR 450P, ARB tire repair kit, all sorts of toys. Replaced some older junk I was using before.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the front skid plate from GN Vehicle Protection out of the UK, but it appears from their website they stopped making it for the LR4 and only have it for the LR3. I bought the skid plate back in 2011 when I had my first LR4 and then transferred it over to my 2013. It's a great product, rock solid, and offers good protection. I have come down on a rock a few times and it did it's job.

You may want to email the guys at GN Vehicle Protection and see if they still have them available.

I also like the ASFIR plates, as it's two pieces and offers good protection. Umberto has the ASFIR plates so he can give his input.

I am also thinking that Tactical Rovers was working on it? If so, I really like their products. I'm getting their other plates soon. I'm sticking with my GN Vehicle Protection for now because I am getting an ARB front bumper and will need to remove the skid plate anyway.

Keep us posted!

Last edited:

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi MBW

As far as I know ASFIR plates cover much more then Land rover OE sump guard. I have tactical rover rock sliders and next step for me will be a sump guard and a transfer case protection followed by a fuel tank. I like Tactical Rovers plates personally. A friend of mine from my local land rover club has a fuel tank skid plate from Tactical rovers. Nice and solid piece of steel.
You may want to call tactical rovers and ask if they have sump/skid plate ready. They were working on it.
Keep us updated.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I'd like to see what tactical is working on for the front skid. Would be nice to keep things all the same.

So, this may be a dumb question, but don't you still need some type of front protection for the sump area and the front recovery hook area even if you have the full on ARB bumper? I have it in my head that I dont want to do the ARB bumper now, but given my luck with the deer population here, I think I might if I had to replace my bumper or replace one more damn body panel on this thing. Same with the rear bumper. If someone nailed me and I had to replace it, I'd go steel. (Still not sure on the tire carrier thing, i know its more off road practical, but it would bug me and be in the way 99% of the time)

Also, While I love the Voyager sliders, I do worry a little about the compressor cover and how it sticks down. I don't think I can do much about that at this point. I don't worry as much about the air tank, its tucked up there ok and next to the slider enough. Hrm.. I still dont think I will hit very much, I don't get too many opportunities to hit rocks in Iowa, its more mud and just terrain/traction issues here, but when I do get out west or somewhere more interesting I want to be more than ready. Has anyone hit the compressor on anything?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I'd like to see what tactical is working on for the front skid. Would be nice to keep things all the same.

So, this may be a dumb question, but don't you still need some type of front protection for the sump area and the front recovery hook area even if you have the full on ARB bumper? I have it in my head that I dont want to do the ARB bumper now, but given my luck with the deer population here, I think I might if I had to replace my bumper or replace one more damn body panel on this thing. Same with the rear bumper. If someone nailed me and I had to replace it, I'd go steel. (Still not sure on the tire carrier thing, i know its more off road practical, but it would bug me and be in the way 99% of the time)

Also, While I love the Voyager sliders, I do worry a little about the compressor cover and how it sticks down. I don't think I can do much about that at this point. I don't worry as much about the air tank, its tucked up there ok and next to the slider enough. Hrm.. I still dont think I will hit very much, I don't get too many opportunities to hit rocks in Iowa, its more mud and just terrain/traction issues here, but when I do get out west or somewhere more interesting I want to be more than ready. Has anyone hit the compressor on anything?
I was told that the ARB front bumper extends below and would not be compatible with my current sump guard since it also acts as a front sump guard. I am not sure how far it extends inward, so in that case, maybe the rear piece of the Asfir sump plate (since there are two pieces) may still fit and provide protection? I will have to look into this further. I can definitely see how the front bumper would be protection in an area with a lot of deer. We have a lot of deer along certain roads and I see them dead all the time. As for the rear bumper, I am very up in the air on the Kaymar. I like it, but it just doesn't seem to fit nice and tight, though I would consider it. I looked into the Voyager swing-away tire carrier, but talking to someone who has one they say that their rear sensors are triggered and the bolts were not fastening the swing-away properly. I am going to just keep it in the back or on the roof for now and worry about the tire carrier later if I do the Kaymar down the line.

I was going to use a local independent Land Rover garage to order and install the ARB bumper and winch, but I've had a few issues with them when doing my Compomotive wheels (it was pretty annoying) and they don't really have a lot of experience working on LR4s. Even though the ARB LR4 bumper is made to work with the front sensors and headlamp washers, they were convinced they were not sure if they could do it so I would need to disable them - which is crazy. I ended up taking a drive to a local 4 Wheel Parts store and the guy there was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. He does it all the time and said it would be no problem. They are a certified ARB retailer and installer, so I will order and have them install. Plus, they were about $2,000 cheaper than the independent Land Rover garage. I kind of feel like I am cheating because the independent Land Rover garage is a sponsor of my local Land Rover club, but it's been one thing after another with them and they are incredibly grouchy. I know that sounds nuts, but they never ever smile or engage in conversation. If I am going to drop > $4,000 on a bumper and install, then I'd like a bit of a smile and not a constant grouchy attitude.

I have the same issue with my Urban Offroad sliders, I love them, but they don't necessarily protect nearly as much as the Tactical Rover sliders. However, with that said, I feel as though they offer me all the protection I need based on the terrain I want to tackle. Perhaps down the line I may jump over to Tactical Rovers if I end up on more rocky terrain and make this my sole trail rig, but for now I am picking my battles in regards to adding weight. I've been wheeling quite a bit and my sliders work great - never hit the compressor. I think the bigger tires and added lift also help. I am getting the Asfir tank guard and my brother is working on a compressor cover. I have been to Iowa a few times and I think your Voyager sliders will be fine for that terrain.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Asfir guard is a great kit, relatively inexpensive and light. Very happy I got it. I bent it pretty good in places over several rock crawling trips around the local mountain last year. The front end looks a bit crooked as a result now (the black powder coating makes the imperfection hard to notice), but it's still in one piece, it saved my undercarriage from possible extensive damage and that's what I bought it for I guess.

A stainless steel -as opposed to aluminum - guard would not have budged of course, but one of the size of the 2-piece Asfir - which is way larger than the factory Mantec plate - would likely add at least another 100 lbs to my already bloated setup, so I'll live with the less sturdy but lighter aluminum protection in front. I don't know if the guys at Tactical ever got around to designing a steel sump guard compatible with the LR4, the guys told me they would be in touch if they ever decided to pursue that project to use my vehicle again as "model", but I haven't heard from them, so I am assuming it's a project still in their back burner. I don't know if a steel sump guard for our stock vehicles exists yet, everything I see out there (not much, and I think you've mentioned them all) is aluminum.

I also have Tactical 4x4's fuel tank plate. Impressive slab of steel for sure, but heavy as hell also, so keep all this added weight in consideration (I need all the protection I can get due to the type of unforgiving, rocky terrain I often negotiate around here, you may not.) Finally, be aware that installing heavy duty armor like Tactical's underbody plates and rock sliders will inevitably introduce some creaks and groans due to friction of all this hardware on chassis and body mounts when the car flexes at low speeds, which you will hear inside the cabin. They come and go and are hard to pinpoint. You can minimize these noises by adding foam spacers, washers, etc, between the various plates and chassis / body mounts, but you must be willing to tolerate some while off-roading... or going over a speed bump.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I am conscious of the weight and I'd like to keep it as quite as I can. Its the constant battle of comfort v capabilities. I don't want it to end up riding or sounding like a Jeep :p

Finlay, I totally feel you on the service stuff. I would walk away from someone who gives up before they even see the project. I really hate shops that given the opportunity for any job more complex than what they do every single day, they act all helpless and start making excuses before anything else. That is very sad. Personally I would want a challenge here and there, otherwise you are just an oil change monkey in my eyes.

I had that happen at a Nissan dealer once with my G35x. Wanted an alignment with my camber kit. You had to adjust a sliding bolt on the upper A-arm, but it required that you take a measurement and then raise the car to access the bolt. OMG did the 'pro' certified whatever mechanic have a pissy fit right in front of me about that. Most un-professional behavior I have ever seen.

I am willing to pay MORE for someone who is willing to work with you on a project, have a good attitude and who is generally more personable and intelligent. I have so many times had to work with grumpy service people, especially auto related things. They don't even have to know everything up front or be perfect, but the attitude makes all the difference.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the D44 sump and transmission skid plates and the asfir air tank guard with aluminum Terrafirma rock sliders. So a hodge-podge of products. I'm still looking for a fuel tank skid or may have one made at this point.

The D44 stuff while thick, is not made for the V8 LR4. So the trans skid specifically needs heavy modification (nip and tuck) to allow the V8 exhaust to not rattle against it.

I went my route because I wanted a compromise of lightweight and some protection since I use the rover on less challenging trips. If I were to do it over again, I would either have tactical rovers build their skids in aluminum or find a competent sheet metal place locally to plate the undercarriage from side to side.

No idea is Devon has started importing again. Maybe contact Justin at Lucky 8.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys buy ASFIR protection plates?

I called UrbanOffroad and they told me they don't sell these anymore due to many complains from clients regarding company products( design flows, holes drilled improperly in places that could not match chassis original mounting points and such..)

I am not really sure if he was talking about all the brands, but products on their website are purely left for traffic only.

i already have Mantec sump guard and probably get a Rasta Gearbox guard, which is also aluminum, would love to see more products made with this lighter metal, such as rear diff guard, sliders and such..

I am not sure how Rasta gearbox will fit with RS sliders that I already have...Anybody have both by any chance?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine from Urban Offroad back when he was still carrying their products, and had it powder coated locally. The plate was a perfect fit and fairly easy to mount by myself, even though it was originally designed for the LR3 (like most other aftermarket sump guards out there), you can tell by the "imperfect" front end cut under the bumper, no big deal from a functional standpoint though. I guess you could buy directly from Asfir USA, they are in Arizona: www.asfir4x4.com

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut