"Smart key not found" help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlesu69

Reaction score
some few weeks ago my fob just stopped working, couldn't unlock or lock my car. i could only start my car by placing the fob under the steering column. i was told i had to replace my key as some moisture was found on it. another key was purchased and the car was taken to a 3rd party garage to have it programmed.

the new key couldn't be programmed and now the old key cant start the car now even when placed under the steering column. MY12 has literally shutdown, none of the keys can be validated using SDD, a program failed response comes back.

Any pointers?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changed mine the other day. I was impressed that the dashboard told me the battery was getting low, so I didn't have to find out the hard way as above!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A dead keyfob battery shouldn't affect the ability to start the car by holding the fob under the steering column. That function exists for circumstances where the fob battery dies.

At what point did you change the battery in your fob, though?

Is your car still at the 3rd party garage? What was the 3rd party garage using to program your key?

I know 3rd party tools such as the IID tool require at least one working key to program a new key.

Sounds like the 3rd party garage deprogramed your existing key instead of programing the new key.

Last edited:

Charlesu69

Reaction score
A dead keyfob battery shouldn't affect the ability to start the car by holding the fob under the steering column. That function exists for circumstances where the fob battery dies.

At what point did you change the battery in your fob, though?

Is your car still at the 3rd party garage? What was the 3rd party garage using to program your key?

I know 3rd party tools such as the IID tool require at least one working key to program a new key.

Sounds like the 3rd party garage deprogramed your existing key instead of programing the new key.

You're right. I think the existing key was deprogrammed..I think this is the main issue that needs resolving.
To answer your question, I changed the battery immediately I couldn't lock and unlock the car with the fob..after 3 batteries I couldn't even start the car without putting it under the fob.
The third party garage uses the JLR SDD tool. I heard him saying "he can't get the ignition to come on to enable him program the keys". Both keys cannot the programmed now

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man. I guess now you have to do whatever procedure there is when someone totally loses all the keys they have. I'm assuming this involves the LR dealer and at least one, if not two appendages.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72