Smart Key Not found - Solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sylvain

Reaction score
Today As I tried to start my 2010 LR4 HSE, I get a "Smart Key Not Found" code popping up on the dash. I couldn't start the car, couldn't lock the doors, so it seems like the smart key could not be detected by the LR4 sensors at all. After some research online, I found a blog of an Australian Land Rover owner that had the same problem. Based on the blog content, I was able to come up with a solution. I ended up disconnecting the positive pole of the car battery for 120 secs and reconnect it. The sensors were then able to recognize the Smart Key and everything went back to normal. Another possible fix was to temporary remove the Fuse #17 from the fuse panel located next to the battery on the LR4. This prevented towing the vehicle to the dealership and keep the car for 3 days, and charge you $400.
Hope this helps someone someday.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to know. Thanks!
I wonder if it would stop my 2013 from letting me drive away without a smart key! :stupido2:
(If I unlock my car with the key fob button, I can then drive away whenever I want. Key still hanging in the garage...)

VernB_LR4

Reaction score
They all let you drive away without the key... It is a PIA but most keyless cars I have driven do this.

RobinMcGregor

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks, your post saved me a lot of time and money looking for a solution. I drove my 2012 LR4 home last night and I couldn't lock it as the keyless fob didn't activate the car systems. I left it overnight hoping that there was some minor issue that would resolve itself, but in the morning, I got the same message - "no smart key detected".

The LR manual is completely unhelpful on this subject. As instructed in the manual, I tried the key fob against the steering column, no effect at all.

After reading your post, I tried removing the fuse 17, that didn't work. However, disconnecting the +pole on the battery did work.

This is not a problem I've had before. I had my car key and my IPhone in the same pocket yesterday which I now know can cause the problem.
Thanks.

Jacqs

Reaction score
I have a 2013 LR4. Just found this thread as was looking for a solution to the same problem. Got in the car this morning to find dash message of ‘no smart key found’. The key unlocks/locks the doors but nothing else. So I tried holding it under the steering column - no joy. Replaced the battery - no joy. Tried the spare key - same thing. Am I missing something obvious? Tomorrow morning I’ll try Sylvain’s suggestions as really hope this doesn’t turn into a major expense. The other thing that I’m wondering is if a thief has somehow been able to remotely reprogram the key? This happened to a friend of mine...

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA