Smart Key Not found - Solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently going through this right now.
Replaced both batteries in the key fob and removed fuse #17 for a minute with no luck. Heading back down to unhook the battery, fingers crossed this works!

I did notice some water in the passenger footwell that I have not seen before, wondering if this might be causing something like others have found. I can't open the sunroof to check the drains for clogs because I can't start the car. I did look at the fabric along the pillar and it's dry and the fuse area of the glove box is completly dry with some dust so that leads me to believe that there is no water intrusion there. Radio works, lights work...

None of these methods fixed my issue, which turned out to be a bad KVM. It cost me $2300 for the KVM and 2 new keys.

If this doesn't work and I need another KVM, is this something I can buy used from a donor or do I need to drop $2,300 for a new one?

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnecting the positive terminal on the battery didn't work:(
Calling the indy now...

Rally1

Reaction score
Same issue, and (so far) the battery reset worked for me. Thanks Google, and you ;).

MY IID tool gave me this error btw, for future searches. U0214-00 (2F) Lost communication with the remote function actuation

Jeff St John

Reaction score
Just had this same issue. Thought I needed a new key fob. Dealer quote = $800. Outrageous. Disconnected the positive terminal on battery and the reconnected. Problem solved! Thanks!!!!!!

vivistevekelley

Reaction score
My problem is related: dash shows "No smart key detected", but when I briefly exit and re-enter the vehicle, the key fob is recognized and I can start the vehicle no problem - happens most of the time.

Based on that, don't think it's a battery connection or fuse issue - possibly key fob battery, but that's fresh, so ... any other suggestions?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had issues when the keyfob is in the same pocket with my phone. The phone has RF signals that can interfere with the keyfob/car antenna. Not sure if that might be your issue here, or if you have some other device operating in RF in your car.

Other things that come to mind: water in the passenger footwell anytime in the past six months, check health of the car battery. Otherwise, you might be having an issue with the keyless vehicle module or one of the RF antennas. Check for any DTC codes. I believe the keyless module is in the right hand cargo bay someplace, and I think the RF antenna’s are in the headliner - maybe someone else knows for sure.

Just because it doesn’t happen every time doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not a connection issue (it would rule out a fuse, but maybe not a relay, and certainly wouldn’t rule out a corroded connection someplace).

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today As I tried to start my 2010 LR4 HSE, I get a "Smart Key Not Found" code popping up on the dash. I couldn't start the car, couldn't lock the doors, so it seems like the smart key could not be detected by the LR4 sensors at all. After some research online, I found a blog of an Australian Land Rover owner that had the same problem. Based on the blog content, I was able to come up with a solution. I ended up disconnecting the positive pole of the car battery for 120 secs and reconnect it. The sensors were then able to recognize the Smart Key and everything went back to normal. Another possible fix was to temporary remove the Fuse #17 from the fuse panel located next to the battery on the LR4. This prevented towing the vehicle to the dealership and keep the car for 3 days, and charge you $400.
Hope this helps someone someday.
OP,

Thank you for posting this, just helped sort my 2012. Same issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV