Snorkel for 2012 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Anyone have one? I'm looking to get one installed but I've read so much conflicting information. Looking at the Safari Snorkel sold by ARB. Trying to figure out if it's compatible. Do I need to install two, one for the left and right side since I've read there are electronics behind both air intakes?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you would need two snorkels since there are two air intakes, but I could be wrong? The LR3 and ex-US LR4s can get away with one, but I have actually never seen a North American LR4 with the snorkels (one or two).

My own personal opinion is that it just would look weird with two snorkels and honestly I would never want to take my LR4 in water that deep, I feel as though it is a bad idea considering all of the electronics. It very well may be able to handle it, but I would afraid myself. :) If I wanted to go that extreme I would get a Defender or an older Discovery.

Don't get me wrong, I love my LR4 and push it rather hard, but it's NOT an extreme 4x4 vehicle, rock climber, or something in which I would wade through deep water.

What do others think?

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snorkels give a false sense of security in these modern cars with tons of electronics. Going in deeper than the wading depth is trouble waiting to happen. Water in the engine is bad but recoverable. Fried ECU's not so much. I have my diesel 110 with a snorkel and take it swimming as there are zero electrics. My 2013 LR4 will stay in the kiddy pool.
Also let's not forget why the snorkel was created, as a raised air intake to keep dust out in the Outback, not water.
In theory one could cover one of the air intakes and a snorkel on the other side for short crossings and be OK in regards to water in the engine but again you'd be risking the computers.
Just my opinion.
Chris

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd need 2 snorkels. Besides the fact that you would look ridiculous driving around with a plastic superstructure on each side of the wimdshield, good luck finding anyone manufacturing a LH snorkel or raised air intake for the LR4. If we had diesels here in the US, we would be OK (TD engines only have one air intake, like the old LR3 did.)

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input. Removing the cool look factor of having one, it seems the in-practice use is not possible and more importantly pointed out, not worth seriously damanging the truck's electronics.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually don't think you need two.
There is a baffle/valve assembly in the intake system, with in each side runner, that will not allow water to enter the intake system.
Therefore if you fitted the snorkel to one side you would still be able to draw air, from the side fitted with the snorkel, even if the other side was under water.
Also all of the LR electrical fitting are designed to be IP67 or better. This means they can be immersed in water for a finite amount of time (not sure of the length of time) before they are compromised.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Beside the concerns of electrical and water, for some reason I don't feel confident in the snorkel’s compatibility with the LR4. It very well maybe 100% compatible I just don’t know enough or anyone who has one fitted to an LR4. I’ve seen photos on the web… I also worry about the continued degradation on MPGs in terms of air flow, etc.. as this is my everyday vehicle. With all the Armor, etc… we all most definitely get many MPGs less compared to a stock LR. It’s not like I want to take the LR in window deep water, it’s the occasional crossing where water has come up over the hood due to the wake from my speed that has started me researching a Snorkel. And the cool looking factor! I’m still up in the air (pun intended) if I get one, for now I’m concentrating on building out the truck with the most applicability and maximum benefit. For example, I get my Traxide kit installed with Wednesday, so need to think about placement of sockets, ordering ARB cooler…what else???!!!

KurtP

Reaction score
I actually don't think you need two.
There is a baffle/valve assembly in the intake system, with in each side runner, that will not allow water to enter the intake system.
Therefore if you fitted the snorkel to one side you would still be able to draw air, from the side fitted with the snorkel, even if the other side was under water.
Also all of the LR electrical fitting are designed to be IP67 or better. This means they can be immersed in water for a finite amount of time (not sure of the length of time) before they are compromised.

Hey all. Searching the interwebs on this topic lead me to this forum and specific post....

I can't, however, find an explanation of how this works or anyone else that has said the same thing. Is the LR4 intake system actually valved this way to prevent water? How does it work? Only other idea I've had is making a custom intake pipe that has 2 barrels for the left and right maf sensors, but to a single filter on the snorkel side. Or doing the math on what the new diameter for a single pipe would need to be to fool the ECU/sensor readings. probably a slight performance hit, but keeping dust out is the main goal....

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Searching the interwebs on this topic lead me to this forum and specific post....

I can't, however, find an explanation of how this works or anyone else that has said the same thing. Is the LR4 intake system actually valved this way to prevent water? How does it work? Only other idea I've had is making a custom intake pipe that has 2 barrels for the left and right maf sensors, but to a single filter on the snorkel side. Or doing the math on what the new diameter for a single pipe would need to be to fool the ECU/sensor readings. probably a slight performance hit, but keeping dust out is the main goal....

Not even sure how this "valve" would work. I removed and cleaned both intakes/MAFs on my 2015 including the side vent connections and don't see how anything there would prevent water from entering in the event the waterline gets that high. The D5 has nifty drain slits in the body panels under the hood but the LR4 does not. So yeah, not sure how anything but a dual snorkel would work.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA