So here is why after owning (4) Land Rovers I don't think I will ever own one again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjchankalian

Reaction score
So here is why after owning (4) Land Rovers I don't think I will ever own one again.

My current 2018 Disco V has had problems from the beginning. It had problems with the back hatch, the roof, the seat, and has been plagued with infotainment issues. My 2015 had some issues but in that case they stepped up after a few months and I enjoyed that car for three years.

This truck has been in for the infotainment issues at least five or six times by now. After multiple “updates” the system still can't simply hold a phone call without crashing.

I eventually learned that this problem is systemic through my model and some others. Even my loaners had this issue. After the dealer told me they could no longer replace any other components to try to fix the problem, because Land Rover apparently issued a memo that they know there's an issue and can't fix it other than a software update, I was stuck.

Eventually after going to Land Rover corporate, where I simply said just take the car back and let's part ways, they offered to replace the truck. Not understanding this, since I've been told they were aware of the software issue, which they won’t provide me the bulletin on ironically, I reluctantly agreed.

So a few weeks after that offer, which has been pending some regional manager that I can’t speak to, I end up with the dealer contacting me and telling me that they're going to cover one lease payment and buy me an iPhone.

This seems a rather strange to me because early on when I was getting desperate I had said if it was a problem with my phone, should I buy an iPhone. Not that this matters but I'm not a fan of iPhones but just to make phone calls I was willing to do it. At that time, they told me no, because the interface with iPhones was worse??

So, I told the dealer that I was waiting to hear back on replacement truck from corporate since I would prefer to have my Android phone anyway, which is what my family uses, and have them replace the truck which they “said” was the issue.

Now they have apparently recanted on the replacement truck option. Honorable negotiating to say the least…

During this conversation they told me that my phone was the problem and that it wasn't compatible with the truck. I questioned them as to why they didn't simply offer to replace it with a compatible Android phone? This person didn't know. I asked her if she could check on my phone's compatibility and she didn't know that either. Wonder how she knows my phone is not compatible if she didn’t even know what phone I have. It’s Pixel 2XL by the way.

After that conversation I went onto Land Rover’s website where you can put in your model, your VIN, and your phone and it'll tell you compatibility. As I suspected, my phone “is” compatible with my car right down to the version of Android it is running.

At this point I think they are just running the train on me hoping I will go away.

I've given them until the end of the week to make me a legitimate offer as to how to resolve this. Replacing the truck is fine or simply taking the truck back and taking me out of my lease is fine. I'm just tired of the frustration. If not, I will have to file a Lemon Law claim.

I don't know whether this is the beginning of what's going on with their corporation problems overseas or just bad customer service, but at this point I think I finally hit my limit. While I like the look and performance of their vehicles, the customer service run-around, and the reliability issues are just getting too much for vehicle at this price range.

I'll repost once they get back to me and we make a final decision. Unfortunately, at this point I'm not very optimistic. Either way, looks like they are losing another customer.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into whether your infotainment and phone compatibility issues meet the 'substantial defect' requirement of Lemon Law?

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Write this up and file a complaint with your state attorney general. (Assuming you’re in the US)

I had issues with warranty work on a F150 and filed one. The state went after them and boy were they (Ford) quick to suddenly make my issue go away. It didn’t stop me from trading in the truck for my LR4 but it got me out of being crapped on by two different dealerships.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you don't rag on about the back hatch, the roof, and the seat, I assume those problems were fixed. Why does your car have to be your god damned phone? I've never connected my phone to my D5 because I don't talk on the phone while driving. Those who do are not giving their full attention to driving and are, therefore, safety hazards and accidents waiting to happen.

rjchankalian

Reaction score
Thanks for the AG. Im giving them in more week and then I will have to file. Im in NJ and they have a process.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Locally I see lots of Range Rover drivers talking into their hand held cell phones. I have just assumed they were too lazy to figure out how BlueTooth hooks up.

Maybe I am wrong.

For what it is worth, my 2005 LR3 with 2008 BlueTooth software works well with my Android BlackBerry KeyOne. I mention that as I recall back then, Land Rover was having some difficulty getting iPhones to connect. I guess you are proving it is now Android.

You are to be commended on your efforts with Land Rover. We will now see how well the State does.

The car companies long ago learned they were bigger than any one individual. Along with the Oil Companies, they however learned the US Federal Government can be a concern; the State, I guess we will see.

I hope the solution is not just rewriting the compatibility table to add a footnote something to the effect of "works with above, except when it does not".

john bolinger

Reaction score
I own a 2007 Range Rover Sport and I have used Android and iPhone units without any issues at all …… they connected immediately and no dropped calls (and that's 12 year old technology). This does sound like some type of a 'Lemon' problem is going on with your system, and you would think that with all the tech savvy people working on these types of problems, that your unit could be gone through systematically and fixed. Good Luck!

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, my 08 LR3 is so bad I just gave up on it years ago. It would not drop calls, but the sound/connection was terrible and all I could make out was the sound of my wife screaming at me to turn it off and just use the phone directly...Her 08 RR works OK, but it is not great. I loose a lot of bits of the conversation when she is using it. If it is anything important she turns it off and uses her phone directly. This is with various Android and iPhones...

sb53

Reaction score
So you are done with the LR brand and will file a Lemon Law claim because your little phone won't hook up right? And getting a different phone that they even offered to you would fix the problem? Really? You must be loads of fun at parties. I would just hope the punch wasn't a little sour so you would bad mouth the whole party. Geez, get the new phone and enjoy your new Rover!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA