SoCal LR3 Rear Diff Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evsteroo

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm new here, just introduced myself in the intros forum. Anyway, I'm looking for any possibly recommendation for rear diff service in the LA/SoCal area.

I have what sounds like a pinion bearing that is slowly going bad on a non-locking rear diff. I've been to a few independent LR shops and most of them are only willing to install rebuilt rear diffs from Land Rover directly, but if I'm going to have to spend north of $2k for a complete rear diff and carrier exchange, I might as well have a rear diff rebuilt with an ARB air locker, so I'm searching for any shops in the area that would be competent and comfortable enough to rebuild an LR3 diff.

Thanks for any help!

mflecklr3

Reaction score
Oceanside Driveline was reco'd by my indie LR shop. I know that's not next door to Glendale. I keep putting off the expense; been driving mine for awhile and changing the gear oil every 10K-12K miles to get every bit of life from the original unit. Please keep us posted. Maybe there are enough SoCal LR3 owners on this forum we could get a group discount :) Kidding not kidding.

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try Inland Rovers in Riverside

Also not next door, but I hear good things

evsteroo

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm going to look into both of these options. I had an indy LR shop recommend Uni-Trax in Anaheim, so the current plan is to buy a used diff and have them rebuild it with an ARB locking unit, then have an indy shop install it.

I'll update the thread in the next couple of months when I decide what route to take, and then again with the results.

mfleck... The sound coming from my differential is VERY subtle, and most people can't even hear it. I've had three indy LR shops tell me that they all make noise (many make a lot more than mine) and that I should just ignore it for now, so I totally understand getting all the life out of them possible, but I have a little OCD so it drives me nuts.

Last edited:

mflecklr3

Reaction score
I hear you on the OCD. I think it's a requirement for out-of-warranty Land Rover ownership. Yes, LR3s are known for having noisy diffs but that doesn't make the noise easier to hear. Good luck! Seems like the ARB rebuild is a smart way to go.

georound

Reaction score
I did the same thing: quick. So I wouldn’t be down to long, I bought a cheap diff on eBay, the ARB locker, and a rebuild kit.

I had Hoopers Rear end in Sunland rebuild a rear end and install an ARB locker on my LR3. Super knowledgeable and and had my local garage do the swap with the rebuilt diff.

im with you on the sounds....I hear everything well before the mechanics do. Live in Montrose/Glendale too. PM me if you want to driving sometime.

mflecklr3

Reaction score
Does the ARB locker mess w/ the terrain response system? I tried looking on ARB's website but it's having issues this morning.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went the junk yard and bought a used rear diff (non-locking) for $600. Bought the rebuild bearing kit from Atlantic British and had a local diff legend do the work. After it was ready, paid my local shop to just swap the diff’s. Worked great.

Now I’m going to do the same thing your thinking of and will install an ARB in my original diff while it’s being rebuilt.

Did you check with IE Rovers in your area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evsteroo

Reaction score
Georound, I'll check into Hoopers Rear End. I'm definitely down to do some driving with the other local LR owners. I'll PM you.

Mflecklr3, I can't say for sure that there is nothing it would interfere with, but all the traction control does is sense wheel spin and engage brakes accordingly. With the locker, there is no wheel spin, so the traction control should just stay inactive in the rear when locker is engaged.

Gabrielef, I checked with both IE Rovers and Oceanside about 3 weeks ago, both answered the phone and said they'd have someone call me back, but never did. Oceanside Driveline did say they could easily do it on-vehicle in a few days time, which actually sounds a little more convenient than my plan. Now that the holidays are over I plan to call them both back, but I've decided I want to have the air compressor installed and up and running before I do the diff.

evsteroo

Reaction score
I purchased the locking differential thru 4WheelParts from ARB, so the ball is rolling. I plan to have Oceanside Driveline perform the work of doing the differential rebuild, and will report back when it's all said and done. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72