Spare Wheel Protector, from RLD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you frequent the disco4.com forums, but I wanted to post this here so people knew about it.

A member on that forum, RLD (aka Uncle Ray) fabricates all sorts of nice stuff for land rovers. I recently bought one of his spare wheel protectors to keep people from stealing my spare. It is much more common of a crime in the U.K. it seems, but when I saw this thing, I figured it looked nice and would prevent a painful expense as I am all over the map with my rover.

edit: In case its not obvious what this is for, people can cut the cable on the spare wheel winch and steal the wheel/tire. This plate is very easy to install and will prevent access to the cable.

I got an 18" one. It works just fine with the 19" stock wheels and will work nicely with my compomotive 18" wheels.

cost me £102.17 GBP total ($160.80 USD)

20r4q2q.jpg

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want a larger spare sized plate that protects the rubber.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want a larger spare sized plate that protects the rubber.

I have seen bag like covers for spares. Not sure where to get them, but ive seen that. I kinda like the exposed look, lets water drain out. I think I will like it more once I get some meaty looking tires fitted and have a meaty spare.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a new rear bumper with swing away spare. And then use my newfound space to mount an air system.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a new rear bumper with swing away spare. And then use my newfound space to mount an air system.

can't you mount a compressor under the hood? Or do you need a tank?

I'd go with an extended fuel tank under there. A metal rear bumper would be nice, but I don't dig the swing away tire carriers because they are just awkward and in the way. you and up swinging it way out to open the rear... meh.. but functional none the less.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean by the inconvienced of the swing away. That's why I am still on the fence. I was thinking the second battery for under the hood. So I'm running out of room for accessories. I want the air system to run a wrench and to air back up after the trail. I'm not super excited to have my spare at 10psi under the car, but that's what I'm going to do this weekend and see how it works. I currently have a portable air system.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure yet when I will get to it, but i'd like to also do dual batteries and a compressor would be nice. Also an inverter.. hehe.

I am still working on my 18" wheel/tire project. I think I am just going to go with P265/60R18 which is ~30.5" and will fit without deflating, but part of me would love to go big and deflate. Or get crazy and order 4 in P265/65R18 ~31.5 and one in the smaller size for the rear, but im not sure that makes any sense at all.

Wow, this thread is off topic... oh well. We almost should just have a IRC chat or something. We all just want to talk shop anyway.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! It's your thread. Can you hijack that?

But definitely it's amazing the possibilities and the modifications that we want to do to such an awesome luxury truck (yes I call it a truck). People look at me like I'm nuts to take a 60k vehicle off road and getting it filthy.

I am ecstatic with my 31.5 tires. They look amazing and completely fill the wheel arcs when the car is lowered, while providing enough clearance for the sticky situation when raised.

IRC sounds good. We all enjoying talki g shop about our trucks.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey mbw and Kaaae,

I am actually thinking of going with an aftermarket rear bumper and swing-away tire carrier for my new ordered truck - since I plan (hopefully) to keep it long term. I am having the dealership switch out my Cooper Zeon LTZ tires from my current LR4 to the new one, but I am going to likely get the 18" Compomotive wheels in a few months.

Kaaae, what rear bumper were you thinking about???

I am not sure what "IRC" is - but I'd love a chat room! :)

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi