Squeaking heater???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcreekmore

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have now discovered a new problem and was wondering if anyone has had this happen before. When I turn on the heat when I first get going the heater is making a squeaking like sound. It has to be the fan b/c the sound goes up and down with the fan speed. Is there something that can can be lubed and if so where? Or is it a belt of some sort that I'm not aware of. Once it gets warmed up it drops off and tends to come and go. I have noticed that it will do it when I make a turn also.

2000 Land Rover Disco. Series II 83,000 miles. Did recently have the serpentine belt replaced about 3,000 miles ago. I don't think that is slipping.

Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DC

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Squeaky

Squeaking heater???

Hey everyone! I have now discovered a new problem and was wondering if anyone has had this happen before. When I turn on the heat when I first get going the heater is making a squeaking like sound. It has to be the fan b/c the sound goes up and down with the fan speed. Is there something that can can be lubed and if so where? Or is it a belt of some sort that I'm not aware of. Once it gets warmed up it drops off and tends to come and go. I have noticed that it will do it when I make a turn also.

2000 Land Rover Disco. Series II 83,000 miles. Did recently have the serpentine belt replaced about 3,000 miles ago. I don't think that is slipping.

Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DC

Hello DC, I’m a little concerned about the squeaking noise, It’s usually caused by low coolant levels. Might want to check coolant level, and if it is up to level, Let us know, and we’ll get back with other possibilities.

Good luck…… Chongo
:bandit:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you changed the belt tensioner yet? I would bet on the bearing going bad in the tensioner.

Quick way to find out... use a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver as a stethoscope... and check the tensioner with the engine running.

dcreekmore

Reaction score
Well I checked the coolant and it checks out ok. The heater has not made the sound today. It seems to do it when it's really cold. When I had the serpentine belt replaced they had to replace the idler pully. They said it had became warped. Not sure....I just don't want a small problem become a large one. I guess it's ok, unless you all think otherwise. I'm not sure which is the belt tensioner.

DC
2000 Disco. Series II
83,000 miles

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I checked the coolant and it checks out ok. The heater has not made the sound today. It seems to do it when it's really cold. When I had the serpentine belt replaced they had to replace the idler pully. They said it had became warped. Not sure....I just don't want a small problem become a large one. I guess it's ok, unless you all think otherwise. I'm not sure which is the belt tensioner.

DC
2000 Disco. Series II
83,000 miles

The belt tensioner should be a wheel and a spring loaded arm that applies tension to the belt to keep it tight. I believe on your model it is on the passenger side below the alternator. Maybe Joey can confirm this for your year. It very well could be what’s squeaking. Or it could be the fan or motor itself, which would involve either oiling the fan bearings, or replacing the fan altogether.
Let’s see what coments and ideas Joey has as well………

Good luck……….. Chongo....................
:bandit:

Last edited:

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds as though one of the heater motors is wearing out or lost lubrication. I've had the exact same issue with a different vehicle....it would make a whine when first turned on or when I made a left turn. In my case, I pulled the motor (which had an exposed tail-shaft) and poured a small amount of lightweight machine oil around the shaft. It fixed the problem.

dcreekmore

Reaction score
Well it seems that it is coming from the heater motor and it does seem to come out at times when making left hand turns. Does anyone have any idea on how to pull this motor out and check it? Is it something I can oil or lube like what 99d2 was saying? I pulled the tabs out that holds the panel below the glvoe box, but there are a lot of wires and I do not want to get into an electrical mess. Do any of you all know how complicated this is?

Thanks!
DC
00' Disco. II

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To remove the blower motor:
1. Remove 4 studs securing toe board and remove. (this is the panel under the glove box)
2. Remove 4 screws securing glove box and remove.
3. Remove screw securing harness to blower.
4. Disconnect plug from blow motor.
5. Remove 3 screws that hold motor in and remove.

I can't tell you if the tail of the shaft is exposed, but checking it shouldn't be much effort and could save you $$$$.

Cheers.

stb616

Reaction score
DC, Please let me know if you have any success with this. My 2000 does this when its cold. Mine started after I was rear-ended. Now that its cold again I've been thinking about looking into it.

dcreekmore

Reaction score
Well guys I have had preatty good luck. I removed the heater blower motor and basicly cleaned it up. I used a little machine oil and pure silicone spray to lube. The motor has not made a peep since. I am glad too, b/c I really did not want to buy a replacement motor. I will keep my fingers crossed, but feel sure that it just needed cleaned and oiled. It was really dry and dirty. Thanks for the help.

DC

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi