Startup ticking noise - exhaust leak or lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a right of passage to hear this noise isn’t it?

it happens on cold starts. Goes away after it heats up. And I also have a clicking/wheezing sound under load when accelerating.
Well on just hearing it my Indy thinks it’s noisy lifters at start And an exhaust leak. It goes in on in two days to figure it out.
My fingers are crossed it’s not a timing chain but he is pretty certain it’s not.
I have read enough threads to know about the manifold gaskets potential and the flywheel potential and the timing chain. And potentially a clogged oil line in the cam area.
But man this seems like a common noise. Any other thoughts?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side? Sounds like the HP fuel pump tappets. Maybe it goes away / reduces when warm because the oil has warmed up enough to lubricate them?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side? Sounds like the HP fuel pump tappets. Maybe it goes away / reduces when warm because the oil has warmed up enough to lubricate them?
Yes passenger side. I will add that to the investigation. Thanks

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar issue (not as loud) that I noticed last winter. My mechanic confirmed that it’s an exhaust leak on the right manifold due to the bolts being corroded. Only happens in winter on cold starts, in Summer I never hear it.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fuji4 I don’t really hear anything that is so unusual. My engine makes all kinds of clicking and ticking noises. Just thought that was normal for this engine (but maybe I have problems too!). Anyway, here’s an upload of my engine for comparison. Towards the end, I remove the cover a bit and you can hear more of the typical clicking I have - always assumed it was valve train noise, but I think I can hear the fuel pumps as well. I had a volvo s60 before this car, and the valve noise was even worse, so never gave it much thought. I do recall seeing something in the TSBs about noisy fuel pumps.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fuji4 I don’t really hear anything that is so unusual. My engine makes all kinds of clicking and ticking noises. Just thought that was normal for this engine (but maybe I have problems too!). Anyway, here’s an upload of my engine for comparison. Towards the end, I remove the cover a bit and you can hear more of the typical clicking I have - always assumed it was valve train noise, but I think I can hear the fuel pumps as well. I had a volvo s60 before this car, and the valve noise was even worse, so never gave it much thought. I do recall seeing something in the TSBs about noisy fuel pumps.

Yeah I read that tsb. My primary thought is exhaust leak. I looked at the timing chain through the oil filler and it looks tight. As for the noises, well, these are noisy engines but... when you have lived with it a long tune you can hear any thing that is not a normal part of the buzzes and ticks. Thanks to this forum I have a list of things for my Indy to check - exhaust system, tappets, hpfs, Timing chain, etc.
It’s probably not a big deal but I guess I am on edge with this engine more than a Toyota

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok it turned out it was a broken bolt on the passenger side exhaust manifold. Bolt head sheared off. Exhaust was leaking around it.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok it turned out it was a broken bolt on the passenger side exhaust manifold. Bolt head sheared off. Exhaust was leaking around it.

Glad it wasn't too bad to narrow down, and now you have some resolution. Any idea on down time?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How in the world does a bolt in that location shear off or get so corroded that it breaks off? But glad you got it traced and fixed so quickly.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA