Steering wheel shake at 50-55 not wheel balancing problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeorgeYu27

Reaction score
2011 lr4. Running 18 Steely with 265 65. I have a steering wheel shake at 55. Wheels and tires are balance. Both done by my indy and discount tire. Both confirm it's in line. Got an alignment done and alignment guys says might be control arms. Indy replaced upper control arm. Still shakes. Indy says bulletin says I need to replace steering wheel. Do you think replacing the steering will do the trick? Is there something I'm missing.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on your LR4?

Have the front lower control arm bushings been looked at or replaced? Those are the ones that go out most often, not the upper ones.

Also, you may want to think twice about having your full residential address in your profile.

GeorgeYu27

Reaction score
Haha didn't even notice address in there. It an old one. Indy looked at lower and says it looks good and that why he only replaced upper. Just wondering if anybody heard of replacing a steering wheel fixing the problem.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how a steering wheel could be the cause.

Look at the rear bushings on the front lower control arms and see if it looks like they've puked up some fluid. They are fluid-filled, and seeing some fluid around them is a surefire way of knowing they've shot craps.

When LCA bushings went, they caused a steering flutter similar to what you are describing.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tie rods and tie rod ends.

Been there. Changed those out for new and shimmy disappeared. It is a cheap and easy fix.

Other culprits could be upper or lower control arm bushings, upper/lower ball joints, or a worn front wheel bearing.

My money would be on the tie rods/ends though.

GeorgeYu27

Reaction score
Changed lower control arm today. Shake still there. Tie rods look good. Scared I'm starting to just throw money at the problem. Any other ideas?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack up truck and check for play in wheel bearings.

Put your hands on top and bottom of tire and try and rock it up and down and side to side. There should be zero play.

My money is still on tie rod ends if you haven't changed them. The ball joints get worn out

Good luck.

crtfour

Reaction score
I had a similar issue chasing a vibration that I thought was a wheel or tire problem. Anyway it was finally discovered by an independent LR shop to be a worn steering rack. This was only at a few years old and about 35k miles. Last thing I would have thought of but the rack was replaced and fixed the problem.

Rob

WGB1

Reaction score
Check for seized brake callipers. I had a 50-55 vibration which were caused by a partially seized calliper piston.

GeorgeYu27

Reaction score
Update. Replaced front upper control arms, lower control arms and ball joint. Got an alignment. Steering wheel shake still there. All tire and wheels road force balanced. Could it be the steering wheel like the bulletin say?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA