Steering wheel shakes sometimes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoA(Atl)07SC

Reaction score
Was on a vacation trip 600 miles, got severe shaking in the steering wheel at 70 mph on highway. I took it to the local LR Dealer, Tom Wood (Indiana) and Andrew got me in on a Sat. around 12:00. They could find any 1 thing, but said it could be a combination of Lower Control Arms bushings, alignment, tire wear, and spacers for 19 inch rims instead of OEM 20 inch. I went with new LCA. Headed home and was still getting some shaking, but not as severe. So the next shop in Alabama, 2nd vacation stop, said new tires and alignment. So I needed tires anyway. They promised it was balanced and aligned.
So now I get the shaking 1/2 inch left to right continuously but only sometimes, mostly at 65 and 70. I would blame the roads, but I've been on old and new highway the last couple of days.
Next I'll check the torque on the spacers. Any other possibilities? TIA. You can email [email protected] also.
Thanks and best wishes,
BTW it's a LR Spt 07 SC with 103,000 miles.

Skinnedy

Reaction score
Not sure if you got this resolved or not, but the tires shaking can be related to the suspension as well. Mine would shake when I hit the brakes, so I thought the rotors might be warped, but when my suspension went, and I had the two air springs replaced in the front, the vibration went away.

That's a little different than what you were reporting, but I had a Jeep that shook violently above 60 MPH, until I got some new shocks for it.

GeoA(Atl)07SC

Reaction score
So far the worn out tires got replaced and that helped. Although I had to go back and have one of the new tires replaced since it was still noticeable above 55 and up. Once that tire was replaced, all wheels recheck for balance and realignment check. It's much better (still not what I expect for a LR). I do have the normal front in shake when applying brakes, but it's so so and I'll wait to get the rotors and brakes done later.

justrollen

Reaction score
Was on a vacation trip 600 miles, got severe shaking in the steering wheel at 70 mph on highway. I took it to the local LR Dealer, Tom Wood (Indiana) and Andrew got me in on a Sat. around 12:00. They could find any 1 thing, but said it could be a combination of Lower Control Arms bushings, alignment, tire wear, and spacers for 19 inch rims instead of OEM 20 inch. I went with new LCA. Headed home and was still getting some shaking, but not as severe. So the next shop in Alabama, 2nd vacation stop, said new tires and alignment. So I needed tires anyway. They promised it was balanced and aligned.
So now I get the shaking 1/2 inch left to right continuously but only sometimes, mostly at 65 and 70. I would blame the roads, but I've been on old and new highway the last couple of days.
Next I'll check the torque on the spacers. Any other possibilities? TIA. You can email [email protected] also.
Thanks and best wishes,
BTW it's a LR Spt 07 SC with 103,000 miles.

At 70 mph on the button it would vibrate, ended up being the front half shaft bearing warning.
i missed it and blew the front housing of the transfer case.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut