Steering wheel shaking after rotor/pads replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my brakes replaced about a month ago and also had my tires balanced. I purchased my brake parts on my own and had a indie shop replace them and they also balanced my tires. Now, every time I brake lightly going over 50mph my steering wheel shakes like crazy, but if I brake hard my steering wheel does not shake (never had issues before brakes were replaced). Is this something I can bring back to the shop and have them look at something specifically? I'm not sure what could cause this. Before I took my LR4 in, I had a bad tire balance problem (steering wheel shaking over 50mpt) but after they balanced my tires everything is smooth except for braking.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on your LR4?

Search for lower control arm bushings. Yours is a symptom I had with mine.

Parker Freeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The highly-regarded Land Rover independent shop here in Denver that does all my work told me to do what they call a brake jab test. Essentially run at 5 miles an hour and jab breaks and listen/ feel for a clunk in the front end. This will vet out most likely that it is lower control arm bushings. I bought my LR4 used and when I did the test drive it had a wobble when I applied the brakes at 35 to 55 mph. I had the Indy shop doing presale eval and they told me that the brakes needed done as well as lower control arm bushings. They told me that the brakes were not the issue of the wobble but in fact the worn out lower control arm bushings. After that service was performed it's smooth.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK just to confuse the isse. I had the front control arms done and had about 5000km on them when I got symptoms similar to you. My problem was siezed caliper pins and crappy rotors.

so:

1) Check your caliper pins.

2) I also had two sets of defective rotors that were brand new. They were beyond runout spec because China. Now I check rotor runout before buttoning everything back up. There is a way (access point) on the backside of the rotor shield that will allow a shop to check rotor runout without taking off the wheels and brakes.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking warped rotors as well, or a sticking caliper.

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like warped rotors since you just did your brakes and the wobble wasn't there before the brake job. If your inde did not tighten the lug nuts to specs after the brake job your rotors will get warped after about 100-200 miles.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I missed where this happened right after the brake job, and not a while after. Take it back to the shop where you had it done and let them know.

What brake parts did you purchase?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR4 used to do this because it had aftermarket rotors installed. (I bought it used) When I first noticed it I brought it into my trusted local LR mechanic, he looked at the rotors and said, "that's why."

Once I needed brakes I had the rotors replaced with the OEM part and the vibration went away.

I had the same behavior as you... at above 45-50 mph I'd get a pretty good vibration on braking. At higher speeds (above 60 maybe) it would go away.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got new OEM rotors and pads about a month ago. While installing the winter tires last weekend I noticed "Brembo" stamped in the rotors. That explains why the OEM rotors are so high quality.

aztris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got new OEM rotors and pads about a month ago. While installing the winter tires last weekend I noticed "Brembo" stamped in the rotors. That explains why the OEM rotors are so high quality.
Part numbers or photo?

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA