Stop start battery failure cause?

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Fuji4, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Fuji4

Fuji4 Full Access Member

Now keeping in mind that I have disabled the stop start feature permanently I find it odd that the stop start battery is totally dead. It was replaced at 45k miles or so by the dealer. I was thinking about using the aux battery to power my BlackVue dash cam in parking mode but then found out it is totally dead.
    Now do we have a reason why it’s (and everyone else’s) dead? Does it not charge properly from the alternator? Or do they die from use or age?
    Because I can replace it and then use it as a dash cam battery but if it doesn’t charge properly that will be pointless.
    Any thoughts ?

2. ClevelandLR4

ClevelandLR4 Member

Can you check if current flows to aux battery from alternator when vehicle is ideling?
    Was it a software fix or hard wire disconnect fix for permanent removal of stop start function?

3. Fuji4

Fuji4 Full Access Member

It was a software fix. I tuned it with velocity AP and they shut it off as an option with a flasher. I’ll have to dig into the dead battery this weekend. I just left it alone after installing the dash cam setup. But it is mighty dead. Of course that is also a great solution to the start stop annoyance.

4. Waterndirt

Waterndirt Full Access Member

So after the software fix / flash, did you have an Amber Eco (Unavailable) Dash light on all the time? This is the first confirmation, that I know of, that software can turn the ECO system off.

5. Fuji4

Fuji4 Full Access Member

Yes. The eco light stays on.

6. Robuk

Robuk Active Member

To test whether aux is being charged uncover aux battery, start the car, connect the probes of a multimeter to battery terminals, ensure meter is set to DC, you should see a reading around 14 volts. If it is less than 12 volts it`s not being charged.

7. ClevelandLR4

ClevelandLR4 Member

Any updates fuji4?

8. Fuji4

Fuji4 Full Access Member

Not yet. I had to get a new main battery yesterday and have not had a chance to get the multi meter in the aux one. I’ll try and do that today.
    On another note when putting in the H7 I realized that I had an H8 in there previously. I know I replaced it in 2014 but don’t think I did anything to the BMS via the IID tool. I am also going to pull the BMS off the negative terminal per Robucks advice.

9. avslash

avslash Full Access Member

If it works for you without getting "Charging System Fault" on the display, let me know. I was never able to avoid the fault with any combination of sensor/IIDTool settings.

10. Fuji4

Fuji4 Full Access Member

Ok here is the multimeter results. 6509E7DC-42BE-4BE0-8D3B-3F20BCA30606.jpeg 06A6970B-43BD-4F80-BEA6-2E971BE0E041.jpeg
    Nothing to the aux battery.