Strange starting problem 2005 Discovery 3 v6 petrol s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony Roote

Reaction score
Good day from the bottom bit of Africa,

I would be very grateful if any of you would be able to help with a intermittent problem I am having with my beloved Discovery.

A few days ago I noticed the average fuel flow on the instrument cluster had the 3 lines you get when you reset it. I only do this between fill ups and hadn't for a while. All the other info was still there.

When I started the car it started well but died out soon after, almost like a car needing a choke. The average fuel numbers re appeared and on the second attempt it started and ran normally.

This has started happening more regularly but doesn't seem to follow any pattern. When I start with the average fuel showing the 3 lines I can catch the engine on the throttle before it stalls and she runs well from there. If the Average fuel is displayed then it starts perfectly.

I can't get the faults read at the moment but I vaguely remember there being a failure to communicate with instrument cluster and possibly a barometric pressure fault, I may be wrong.

So far I have tried a hard reset. Cleaned the MAF and the throttle body and fully charged the battery (relatively new) plus the usual wires and plugs checks.

I noticed today that when I accelerate hard the fuel flow will sometimes pop up the 3 lines but with no loss of performance.

Any assistance would be much appreciated since I am worried this may deteriorate to a point where I can't start the car and with the current lock down I can't get to my trusty mechanic.

Ricardowelch

Reaction score
Good day from the bottom bit of Africa,

I would be very grateful if any of you would be able to help with a intermittent problem I am having with my beloved Discovery.

A few days ago I noticed the average fuel flow on the instrument cluster had the 3 lines you get when you reset it. I only do this between fill ups and hadn't for a while. All the other info was still there.

When I started the car it started well but died out soon after, almost like a car needing a choke. The average fuel numbers re appeared and on the second attempt it started and ran normally.

This has started happening more regularly but doesn't seem to follow any pattern. When I start with the average fuel showing the 3 lines I can catch the engine on the throttle before it stalls and she runs well from there. If the Average fuel is displayed then it starts perfectly.

I can't get the faults read at the moment but I vaguely remember there being a failure to communicate with instrument cluster and possibly a barometric pressure fault, I may be wrong.
Mike Cross of AutoGuysLand site reviews fuel pressure regulator symptoms on their site. If you concern this matter, you can visit #AutoGuysLand site for more info. So far I have tried a hard reset. Cleaned the MAF and the throttle body and fully charged the battery (relatively new) plus the usual wires and plugs checks.

I noticed today that when I accelerate hard the fuel flow will sometimes pop up the 3 lines but with no loss of performance.

Any assistance would be much appreciated since I am worried this may deteriorate to a point where I can't start the car and with the current lock down I can't get to my trusty mechanic.

Sorry to hear your issue. Do you think the problem can be with the fuel filter, fuel pump, ballast resistor, or fuel pressure regulator?I think you should these things first. Because of badly clogged fuel filter, you will have the fuel flow issue. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi