Supercharger Rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the PCV valve today and we were noticing a rattling sound coming from the supercharger. Can't recall if that is always been there but my mechanic said it sounded a little loose or something. is this a known issue?
are there bearings that go bad in there? What should I do about it?

Not sure if you can hear it among the normal engine noises.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a tsb on "supercharger noise". No suggested fix other than replacement though.

Attachments

• MC-10116172-9999.pdf
    86.4 KB · Views: 387

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a tsb on "supercharger noise". No suggested fix other than replacement though.
Hmmm that tsb gives me such a Wonderful warm feeling about quality! Not sure if there is anything to do about it given that it is out of warranty by 25k miles now. New supercharger is about $3k plus install.
Although frankly I don’t know if there is anything wrong enough to care about it.

Edward2595

Reaction score
It's the isolator in your supercharger. Cheap part but labor intensive to fix. Mine is doing the same. I've got an extended warranty but haven't had time to take it in to see if they'll cover it or not.

There's a ton of infor on the jag forums:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/supercharger-coupler-isolator-diy-179095/

Mine sounds exactly like yours. It will eventually cause more issues with your supercharger. They typically replace the snout and isolator bushing which runs around $500 or so plus other gasket type parts and tons of labor.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the isolator in your supercharger. Cheap part but labor intensive to fix. Mine is doing the same. I've got an extended warranty but haven't had time to take it in to see if they'll cover it or not.

There's a ton of infor on the jag forums:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/supercharger-coupler-isolator-diy-179095/

Mine sounds exactly like yours. It will eventually cause more issues with your supercharger. They typically replace the snout and isolator bushing which runs around $500 or so plus other gasket type parts and tons of labor.

great info thanks. Not great in the general sense of car pleasure but what do I expect?
I’ll visit my wrench today. Found that guy in PA doing the snout rebuilds on eBay. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/122961727734
I think I can minimize downtime with that route.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, brief update here. I am talking with Ed, the "quality superchargers" guy on ebay. And I spoke with Superchargers Online, a Simi Valley company that sells parts online, and also has a shop. There are several routes to take on this project. Basically, the coupler is the part that fails. http://www.superchargersonline.com/...&id=57&zenid=e79410cf85ff97a79d5d19e29d7f43d0
It's made with springs to dampen vibration to/from the engine. those springs break, and the solution for longevity is to replace the coupler with a solid unit, as shown above. Now the obvious question is given the PITA to take the snout of the S/C off, as detailed in that Jagforum post above, What else should be done while you are in there? Superchargersonline said that basically, the couplers go early, 40-75k a lot of times, and that around 100k miles the snout bearings will go too. Which means that it may be worth my while to do those as well. They also said that these units are not rated past 125k, and that after 100k they would generally do a vane replacement and rebuild the unit including all bearings and "wearables."
They quoted me around $4-500ish to do the coupler and snout bearings. then $750 for the whole supercharger bearing overhaul. Then around $1600 to do a full rebuild with new vanes, etc. which would basically be a new unit.

Now i can also order a rebuilt snout from ebay for $400ish. that has new coupler, bearings, gasket, etc. then have my guy do the install.

Thoughts on which route to go?

There is also the other option which i am of course investigating - Quality superchargers has a "performance" pulley upgrade, which gets about 7% more power by changing out the Snout Pulley. I have already done the VELOCITY AP crank pulley and tune, so it's pushing 450hp at the moment. Not sure if it can happen, but I wouldn't mind another 30HP if possible.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And here is Ed's reply - A knowledgable fellow:
"Andrew

That explains my first name. SCOL is the absolute best, I have no hesitation in recommending them if you want them to check out your supercharger.

I can offer you some lower cost alternatives. From my experience your Isolator is Bad, I know its bad because you have the stock torsion spring isolator that goes bad in all the Jaguar / Land Rover supercharged vehicles starting at 50k miles. I've sold 215 isolators in the last 2 years for the 3.0 liter ebay.com/itm/112433704125 . I've sold over 500 for the 5.0 superchargers, ebay.com/itm/112433728322 note different size isolator. From that experience i can tell you the isolator will most likely fix your noise and get you another 50k more miles, this is what I sell the most of. Since the labor is the same as just a coupler, I recommend that you get a rebuilt snout or a new (genuine) jaguar snout. You will get new snout bearings especially the front snout bearing which is getting the belt side load. I found the rest of the supercharger to be very robust, never saw bad needle bearing in any of the jaguar 3.0 superchargers I've refurbished, I replace them if I take the supercharger apart. Failure on these superchargers is 1) isolator 2) front snout bearings 3) wrong mechanic doing the work on the supercharger 4) really high mileage 150k or more

The performance pulley option won't need a tune, your computer will compensate for the actual airflow going into the motor and provide the correct amount of fuel no matter how much boost there is. Tuning can free up some hp but isn't required for pulley swaps.

Just a warning, there are Chinese knockoff jaguar snouts that became available in the last 2 months. You may see them available for your 3.0 for about $200. I don't recommend them, they have all Chinese parts, Chinese bearings and Chinese torsion isolator.

Hope that helps
Thanks
Ed
"

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the PCV valve today and we were noticing a rattling sound coming from the supercharger. Can't recall if that is always been there but my mechanic said it sounded a little loose or something. is this a known issue?
are there bearings that go bad in there? What should I do about it?

Not sure if you can hear it among the normal engine noises.

I hear two distinct noises, what I believe to be valve train and then there's the intermittent rattle. Am I hearing this correctly?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's the noise like small rocks or ball bearings bouncing around in the aluminum.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick