Suspension Fault - C1A36-01

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gents. driving home this afternoon in the rain I got the famous suspension fault in yellow followed up by a couple of RED warnings to drive under 30mph. Pulled codes when I got home and its the

C1A36-01 (Exhaust valve - General failure information - general electrical failure)

I assume this is the dryer. Anyone do this fix from Lucky 8?

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to order this repair kit tomorrow and rebuild this next week. Im 99% sure this is the issue.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you have the Hitachi pump, I had the notorious same issue and must of had it in and out of the car 10 times I rebuilt every possible part on it but would still get faults. I finally caved and upgraded to AMK and no issues since. If you do go with AMK just buy the OEM with housing. I tried another and was super loud and inferior performance. A lot of other forums on same subject.

The new dryer worked for many but not me. If you want a bunch of Hitachi graveyard parts I'd be happy to ship them to you.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you have the Hitachi pump, I had the notorious same issue and must of had it in and out of the car 10 times I rebuilt every possible part on it but would still get faults. I finally caved and upgraded to AMK and no issues since. If you do go with AMK just buy the OEM with housing. I tried another and was super loud and inferior performance. A lot of other forums on same subject.

The new dryer worked for many but not me. If you want a bunch of Hitachi graveyard parts I'd be happy to ship them to you.

^^ This is a good point ^^

The old Hitachi compressors were enough of a nuisance that LR ditched them for the newer AMK ones. You might try your luck in a junkyard for a wrecked newer LR4 and grab a cheap compressor out of it.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya Ill report back what version I have but I assume due to the issue its the Hitachi. I already ordered the dryer rebuild so Ill give it a shot.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright.

Tonight I spent a few hours pulling the compressor and to my surprise its the AMK. Dryer looked good. I was very pleased with the condition of the compressor and dryer overall. The kit that lucky 8 sold me and said was a dryer rebuild kit for either the "hitachi or AMK" is not the case. The kit was specifically for the hitachi and didn't come close to having the correct parts for the AMK dryer.

I went ahead and reinstalled in order to have a vehicle for the remainder of the week. After pulling the codes again I noticed I have a second fault related to the suspension issue.

Both codes are -
C1A36-01 (Exhaust valve - General failure information - general electrical failure)
and now
C1A13-64 (Presure does not decrease when venting gallery - algorithm based failure - single plausibility failure)

Unfortunately the only thing I now have is a sore neck and bad attitude. Any thoughts are welcome.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your lr4? I think factory started putting AMK around MY12. If it was switched out to AMK check that it has AMK reprogramming. I have read about AMK compressors but overall much better than Hitachi

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your lr4? I think factory started putting AMK around MY12. If it was switched out to AMK check that it has AMK reprogramming. I have read about AMK compressors but overall much better than Hitachi

It's a 2011. How the heck do I check if it has amk programming?

Ive been driving it for 50k miles without any suspension issue.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although... the LR dealer did just have to reflash the software a couple months ago due to the car not shutting down properly while an alternator went dead. Hmmmm

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IID tool can do it, I'm sure others can as well. If you don't have a tool maybe just verify that when they flashed your car they did it with the AMK and not Hitachi programming. Either way sounds like the compressor is faulty I hope they last a lot longer than 50k but they do get worked. Is it still going up and down? second error could just be after reinstall, or maybe a tube is pinched. I'd clear and try again

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick