Suspension Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mach1s

Reaction score
Ok, I scanned the forum and not found my answer. 06 LR3 HSE with 45,000 mi. out of warranty. The other day my wife takes daughter to doctor. 15 miles to doctor, on the way home, suspension fault light turn amber says "normal only" 5 miles later RED light. She gets home parks in garage says something is running and it smells bad. I get home 2 hours later, get in, start it up, raise to off road height with no issues. Dash says "Clear obsticle" so I return it to normal height and the RED is on again says suspension fault , normal height only. What do I check as the compressor seems to work fine. Thanks for the help!!

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's difficult to get a quick answer via the Search function. Your symptoms have been thoroughly covered multiple times. Search Height Sensor, Compressor, Brake Switch, Rear Brake Bulbs or Failed Battery. It's possible that you may have one or the other or a combination of issues. It's best to have the codes pulled by the Dealer or a competent Indy to know the starting point.

Mach1s

Reaction score
I will ask my Tech friend at the Ford dealer to pull the codes for me. I would assume a Ford reader will work seeing they owned them at the time. A rear break light bulb? Really? Thanks for the reply.

Mach1s

Reaction score
Ok, Ford Dealer came up with Immobilizer key mismatch. Code # P0513. They had no idea what that meant. Called LR Dealer (70 mi away) said that is a security code not a suspension code. Can I get the suspension codes read anywhere but the dealer? Can I clear the codes and see what happens? I did have a brake light out over the weekend and replaced it with an 1157 untill I could get the correct bulb which I installed this morning. I put 100 miles on truck today and code is still there. Any more suggestions?

Last edited:

Mach1s

Reaction score
OK truck is down to bump stops and Dealer can't get me in until the Feb. 21st!! Checked the wire connections on the height sensors, they are OK, the battery is going in today to get tested. Where is the compressor located? can I test it somehow? Can I test out the height sensors? Where can I get a diagram of part locations on this truck? Any help would be GREAT!!

Mach1s

Reaction score
Battery tested out to 802 Cold Cranking Amps, Voltage is 12.54V out of truck.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the burning smell I would suspect the compressor....I haven't poked around to see exactly where it is located but I believe it is next to a frame rail around one of the rear doors. Do a search, I've seen pictures of the location on this site. There is also a fuse for the compressor check its condition.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely remove the compressor cover and do a visual and smell inspection. As mentioned above, the cover is under the vehicle by the driver's side rear door. You'll need a socket wrench to remove a couple of the screws and the rest is held in place by some tabs. Nothing overly complicated, but don't overbend the tabs; one of mine broke. You can also try jumping the compressor to verify operation by doing this:

http://disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3113&pos=1

Mach1s

Reaction score
Checked all the fuses and relays. I will try to jump the Compressor as shown in the pic (thank you) . I seen the air tank under the drivers door but did not notice the compressor. I will look closer for it and visually inspect it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA