Tablet Infotainment replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RGLR4

Reaction score
Does anyone have direct, firsthand experience with ordering something like at the links below and know: Is it truly plug and play? Do you retain the stock reverse camera and steering wheel controls? Did you lose any functionality? I assume you lose the stock navigation but it's replaced with CarPlay (kind of the whole point...)
If yes, which model did you purchase?

Thanks in advance and happy motoring!
Ryan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25485898728...=true#rpdCntId

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Here's someone installing it,

There's been a handful of people saying it's working really well. I haven't seen any real negatives about it.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the one that PowerfulUK is going to install soon. They're working with a smaller version first.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks sharp, if a little overpriced for the hardware. Then again, you're paying mostly for the developer and a limited run. I'm wondering
- how much of the OEM functionality is retained? e.g. the 4x4 screen, views of different cameras (trigger reverse camera when shift into R), etc.?
- What third party Android apps can be installed and work properly (Spotify, Gaia GPS are the ones that come to mind)
- Does the tablet store offline content such as the maps for Gaia, Spotify tunes, etc.?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
That looks sharp, if a little overpriced for the hardware. Then again, you're paying mostly for the developer and a limited run. I'm wondering
- how much of the OEM functionality is retained? e.g. the 4x4 screen, views of different cameras (trigger reverse camera when shift into R), etc.?
- What third party Android apps can be installed and work properly (Spotify, Gaia GPS are the ones that come to mind)
- Does the tablet store offline content such as the maps for Gaia, Spotify tunes, etc.?
From what I hear all the oem functions work as normal.

The system uses google play to download apps, so I don't see why it couldn't. Other option is to use the connecting phone to run apps over android auto, and I think it's carplay ready that needs an additional adaptor.

Looks like there are a few flavors of these with Android 10 (older) or Android 11 (newer) and combinations of 2-8 cores, 1-6 GB of ram, and 16-128 GB of rom (memory). So, just be aware of what you're ordering. My edc old Samsung Galaxy s9+ is constantly out of data space at 64GB.

RGLR4

Reaction score
Yes, these are the questions I'm hoping to ask someone and order the exact unit they have experience with. In talking with an installer he highly suggested to 'pay more if needed and get a good one that is known to work' otherwise it can be a total PITA.

Does anyone here have a link to one they've installed? @ryanjl I don't see how to @ 'powerfulUK', the user name doesn't show up...

I'm not too worried about the 4x4 info since that shows up on the gauges, but really want to keep the stock backup camera and will use CarPlay or apps for navigation.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, these are the questions I'm hoping to ask someone and order the exact unit they have experience with. In talking with an installer he highly suggested to 'pay more if needed and get a good one that is known to work' otherwise it can be a total PITA.

Does anyone here have a link to one they've installed? @ryanjl I don't see how to @ 'powerfulUK', the user name doesn't show up...

I'm not too worried about the 4x4 info since that shows up on the gauges, but really want to keep the stock backup camera and will use CarPlay or apps for navigation.

I was talking about the UK company that does videos on youtube.

The are going to install two different systems and give their impressions. They just finished installing the smaller one (you can look at their other videos to see the series of them doing it), and now they are going to put it back to stock and then install the larger one--the one that looks similar (if not the same) as the one that started this thread.

One caveat is that they are doing it on an older LR4 (2011 or older) that used the Denso system as original equipment. Apparently these new units (at least with the smaller Android unit) do not work as well with the older Denso OE system as they do with the newer Bosch (2012 or newer) system.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll find out. I went to Aliexpress and better units were about half as expensive as on Ebay. So for $580 + $71 shipping I'm getting an 8 core unit with 128G via the link in the OP's post. Hope it is worth the gamble. I haven't bought anything straight from a supplier in China before.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. Hope it works out well and you iron out all the wrinkles for those of us too timid to be the first ones!

RGLR4

Reaction score
@greiswig Please let me know how it goes! That's exactly what I'm thinking. Installer said these Chinese direct ones can be hit or miss- why he was saying to try to 'get a good one'.

@ryanjl Thanks for sending the video link. I didn't know that was out there. We have 2011 so that's perfect for me to see how it goes on their test install.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA