1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech requirements, driving a Euro LR4 in US/CA

Discussion in 'LR4' started by navigare, Jun 18, 2020.

1. navigare

navigare Full Access Member

Hello all,

I'm based in Europe and planning to do a long tour of US/CA in 2021/22 (shipping the car ahead, then flying to it). Upon the car's arrival, I suppose it may subject to some conformity checks - does anyone know? I am particularly keen to know if I could run in any trouble sporting: (1) a smal bull bar that only covers the grill, not the lamps; and (2) an extra fuel tank. I also have Mudtech's bypass for suspension control but I doubt anyone would notice that, they'd have to be an expert on this particular model and offroading.

Any input welcome,
    N.

2. jlach993

jlach993 Full Access Member

In regards to those two things the answer is no. You should be fine.

navigare likes this.
  3. DaytonaRS7

DaytonaRS7 Full Access Member

i cant help with your modification and if it will be allowed, but I am curious to how this works regarding registration.

How do you drive it on roads if its not registered and insured?
    Is there a loophole that allows this?

i always thought that people who temporarily had cars here from overseas trailered them to off-road/private events.

4. b.anzellotti

b.anzellotti Member

navigare likes this.
  5. BeemerNut

BeemerNut Full Access Member

Shipping fees plus all the red tape and hoops you must jump threw as well California being one of the top three states with the strictest smog laws, you must hate yourself.
    Why not save your money and buy a used LR in California, drive it then sell when your ready to depart? To comply with added smog equipment allowing any vehicle on the road legally if required has been a very expensive and torture by those I have spoken with.
    Check every detail required on that one year only vehicle use in California first, no hidden expensive surprises.
    This a special "One Off" LR only diplomats own being shipped around the world? Just asking?

6. navigare

Oh no, I'm sure I can drive normally in principle, and under my own registration, too. (Or maybe they'd add a temporary US one on top). I recommend to all the story of Gunter Holtorf who has travelled to 215 (!) countries and territories - everywhere except South Sudan, Chad, and Somalia. I do have full global insurance, too (except towing).

7. navigare

That would be fine, one year is plenty and I sure want to keep the car when leaving US/CA territory. I'd call it temporary driving rather than importing.

8. navigare

Thanks but I haven't custom-equipped my car for big $$$ to engage in buying/selling every time I go somewhere. The whole point is for the expenditure to depreciate by driving the same vehicle for the next 20 years or more. Also, it's a 2014 model, so pretty modern re: emission standards. But point taken, I'll check California laws, this state is certainly on my bucket list. (I've visited it before but only briefly).

Stuart Barnes likes this.
  9. Stuart Barnes

Stuart Barnes Supporting Member Supporting Member

• Motorists visiting the United States as tourists from countries that have ratified the Convention on International Road Traffic of 1949 may drive in the U.S. for one year with their own national license plates (registration tags) on their own national license plates (registration tags) on their cars and with their own personal drivers' licenses.

• https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

10. Stuart Barnes

Stuart Barnes Supporting Member Supporting Member

So after having a quick look you should be ok as long as you’re fully insured and the car is road legal wherever it’s registered as long as the country is party to this 1949 convention.

That aside you’re driving a foreign car in the most litigious country on the planet. So make sure that insurance is enough and enjoy the ride :)

There is info out there posted by the us government but it’s just a drag to read through it all.