TFT Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Well, I know several LR4 owners out there have completed this mod, but now I'm attempting it for myself. Everything seems to be going well, except for the fact that I can't find the correct chip to read on the back of the TFT instrument cluster. I've circled the 2 chips I've read in red, and the chip I can't get to in blue.

I also know there are a few different versions of this particular part number based on the last 2 digits. So, this could also be a case of this particular version isn't compatible with what we want to do.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I did get a good read off my RRS cluster, so the reader works as it should.....just need to find the chip!

A big shout out to @Hermes by the way! Without his write up I never would have made it this far!

IMG_0196.jpeg

Hermes

Reaction score
It is not the blue one. Infact, if I remember correctly its on the other side of the circuit board. You will have to undo those 6 torque screws.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it!! @Hermes, you were right! Pulled the board and it was right there!
IMG_0197.jpeg
IMG_0199.jpeg

Now the fun begins.....sorting through the code to separate the security and mileage.....the VIN is easy!

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if you have to do any trimming to get the RRS cluster in? Is it the digital cluster?

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if you have to do any trimming to get the RRS cluster in? Is it the digital cluster?

No, as I understand it, the instrument clusters are the same part number for the LR4 and RRS. So, aside from a little code tweaking, they're complete plug and play! The TFT gauge cluster is different. These are sourced from a RRFF, and they're a little different. From what I have read, they're just a little bit wider, and the clear plastic bezel has slightly more curve to it. That's why everyone I've seen has a small gap when it's finally installed.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, @Hermes, I need your hex editing wisdom..... I've attached a few screenshots of the different cluster codes. As far as I can tell, from the RRS SC cluster, lines C0, D0 and E0 are the security code lines. However, when shifting to the TFT display, there's a heck of a lot of data right around those lines as well. Do you think I only replace C0, D0 and E0 on the TFT cluster, or do I change C0-120?

On the plus side, the VIN is super easy to change, and even the mileage appears to be easy to find and change as well! Looking at your examples, as well as comparing mine, the mileage always seems to be lines 780 & 790. :rock:

In reference to the above post about fitment, I've picked up a spare instrument cluster bezel. I figure I might try to see if I can alter it to match the curve of the new cluster and get rid of the gaps....which as best I can tell is just due to the difference in plastic cover lens curvature...? Maybe a small extension and a layer or two of carbon fiber to hold it together and make it look cool.... Not really sure how it's all going to play out just yet.
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (6).png

Hermes

Reaction score
@Tapps33 it should just be the C0 line, nothing more. Try that and then test it in the dash without putting it all back together.

Hermes

Reaction score
No, as I understand it, the instrument clusters are the same part number for the LR4 and RRS. So, aside from a little code tweaking, they're complete plug and play! The TFT gauge cluster is different. These are sourced from a RRFF, and they're a little different. From what I have read, they're just a little bit wider, and the clear plastic bezel has slightly more curve to it. That's why everyone I've seen has a small gap when it's finally installed.
The LR4 bezel also covers the side lights for the airbag and seat warning and something else which I forgot. That's why I went for completely customizing around it. It also is a bit wider and for myself I had to cut all the tabs off around the TFT cluster. It is not bolted in, but with how tight it is against the sides and with the cowl over it being tight as well its not going to move.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Hermes, thanks for the advice! I’m gonna try and get to the install this weekend, but we’ll see. That said, I think you may be right as far as customizing is concerned. I feel like there has to be a way to widen the bezel enough to see all the lights…but you’re probably on the right track, be jade it’s typically easier to customize from scratch than manipulate the existing parts to fit something different.
:beer:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA