The hard-to-find LR4, waiting for '14, and questions from a new participant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I am new and I hope you don't mind me asking several questions with my first post. I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now and shopping for SUVs for quite a few weeks more than that.

I have "settled" on the LR4 as my SUV of choice. "Settled" is, of course, an unfair way to say it. I started looking at the RRS and due to its price, I gave the LR4 a look. I am so glad I did. I love it, even more than the RRS. It's exactly what I want in a new vehicle, but that's where my trouble begins.

I have been unable to find a model with all the features I want (LUX, vision, colors I like, etc.). I have spent far more time than I care to admit looking through the inventory of various dealers in nearby states - not that it matters, as I found out today that I am in a "protected" area and I cannot purchase a Land Rover from another dealer. Very strange. Anyway, with all that said, I have one option if I want a 2013 in a color I like: there is a model coming in September with all my desired features except SAT Radio. So, my first question is this: Can I add it as an aftermarket option? Or is it harder than it sounds?

Second question: What would you do? I've been reading the 2014 deposit thread and it sounds like the '14s will be here in December. And that they may just have a V6. While I'm not expecting you to make my decision for me, I am curious about your opinions, since you are all LR4 owners (I assume).

I love the 2013, but getting it in September means getting it just a couple of months before I could get a 2014. It also means getting a V6 (possibly). Is there an expected wait for the 2014 orders, much like the wait for the 2014 RRS? Or is that type of thing not as likely to happen with an LR4? If I knew I couldn't realistically get one until April or May I'd just pull the trigger on the 2013 and be done with it (even if it doesn't have SAT radio).

Or will it be hard to order when it first comes out? if it turns out I can't order one with all the features I want (much like I now can't order the 2013 with exactly the features I want), I'd just go with the '13 I mentioned earlier and be done with it.

Any opinions on the subject are much appreciated. Thanks for letting me ramble! Cheers.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I wanted a 2013 LR4 HSE with Corris Grey exterior, Almond Arabica interior and Black Lacquer trim. They did not have this combo anywhere so I ordered it in June. I expect delivery for August. This way I got exactly what I wanted and made sure I was getting a V8 engine.

On the other hand, I also wanted a 2013 RRS, which wasn't that easy. I could not place an order for one, since they were only taking orders for 2014s and I do not like the 2014 "evoqued" look/body style and V6 engine. So on the RRS I had to pick up one from inventory which was close enough to what I wanted (HSE Nara Bronze exterior, Black interior and Black Laquer trim). I ended up getting Anigre wood trim instead of black lacquer and the Silver Package, which I didn't want but was nice to have and ended up being for free with the discount I got.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of helpful folks here, so it's definitely the place to ask questions. I had a 2011 HSE that I decided to turn in early (it was a lease) because the dealer was offering me a trade-in value well above my payoff quote. I thought about just keeping the vehicle (buying it outright), but there were a few options that I really wanted, so I decided to custom order a 2013 model with exactly the color/trim/options I wanted long-term. Originally I was planning to go with a 2014 model, but as you mentioned, there have been rumors of the engine going to a supercharged V6 for 2014. None of this is confirmed, but since I love the design of my 2011 and the V8 engine, I decided to order the 2013 with exactly what I wanted and plan to keep that long-term.

I ordered the 2013 in late March and just took delivery last month. Like I said earlier, we have no idea yet what the 2014 model will look like as far as updated looks and engine, so we are all waiting anxiously (also because there is a bet going on between umbertob and Count Laszlo - hahaha) to see what the 2014 model years bring for the LR4.

You have to make this decision based on your needs and desire for the vehicle. We all use it for different things and have various expectations. It's my daily driver, but I also like expedition, off-roading, and the classic iconic Land Rover design. While the new 2014 RRS is brilliant, I don't care for soft designs and lots of bling. I know part of the 2014 rumor is a slightly updated cabin, and it seems that this could include the rotary gear changer - something I do NOT want. It's cool, but I personally do not care for it at all. In addition, I had a number of accessories that would fit the 2013, but if they update some of the grill design or perhaps other components, then they may not have accessories that I want ready for the 2014 model. Lastly, and this was a big one for me, is that I really wanted the V8 engine. Based on some recent rumor blogs, it seems they may offer both the V6 and V6 engines for the 2014 LR4, but I did not want to take a risk since I am keeping this for several years. I based all of this on my own needs and experience with the 2011 LR4 that I traded in last month.

Just my own opinion, and take it for what it's worth, if there is a 2013 coming in September with everything you want, except SAT radio, then maybe you could get a good deal on that LR4? If you don't mind giving up some of the potential features or aspects of the 2014, that might be a good solution. With that said, you seem to really want the SAT radio. I am almost sure (and others could chime in here) that you can get a good SAT radio aftermarket - that should not be a problem at all; however, you may want to explore that option first. I am sure there is someone with an LR4 who has an aftermarket SAT radio system. I know I had it on my previous LR4, but only used it a few times, as I never really listen to the radio and don't care for it. But, that's just me. Lastly, if you are the type of guy that wants the most current model year and the possibility of updated headlamps (with what probably will be LED accents similar to the new 2014 RRS - maybe), perhaps a redesigned interior in some aspects, then waiting for the 2014 is the way to go. In the end, you have to ask yourself, will you regret getting the 2013 if you found out there were certain features on the 2014 that you HAD to have. It's way too much money to spend and regret not having something.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Regards, David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I wanted a 2013 LR4 HSE with Corris Grey exterior, Almond Arabica interior and Black Lacquer trim. They did not have this combo anywhere so I ordered it in June. I expect delivery for August. This way I got exactly what I wanted and made sure I was getting a V8 engine.

On the other hand, I also wanted a 2013 RRS, which wasn't that easy. I could not place an order for one, since they were only taking orders for 2014s and I do not like the 2014 "evoqued" look/body style and V6 engine. So on the RRS I had to pick up one from inventory which was close enough to what I wanted (HSE Nara Bronze exterior, Black interior and Black Laquer trim). I ended up getting Anigre wood trim instead of black lacquer and the Silver Package, which I didn't want but was nice to have and ended up being for free with the discount I got.
I got the Angry wood trim in my RRS and couldn't be happier. It warms up the black interior w/white stitching. I do like the black lacquer trim, but it truly is a ****** to clean... it shows everything and just one sneeze it shows tiny little water droplets... little things like that changed my mind. You'll love your RRS. I truly love mine... it sounds like an old-school muscle car in sport mode/nice rumble at downshifting, and if I'm not mistaken, in sport mode, it rev-matches... sounds sweet. And knowing it can also off-road proudly, is a huge bonus. You get the best of both worlds. :proud:

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I had a 2011 HSE that I decided to turn in early (it was a lease) because the dealer was offering me a trade-in value well above my payoff quote. I thought about just keeping the vehicle (buying it outright), but there were a few options that I really wanted, so I decided to custom order a 2013 model with exactly the color/trim/options I wanted long-term.
Aha! Now it makes sense. I've done some searching and reading on this forum and noticed that you had changed LR4 colors along the way. I was thinking "darn, this guy really goes through Land Rovers." Lol.

It's my daily driver, but I also like expedition, off-roading, and the classic iconic Land Rover design.
That's about what it would be for me as well. I drive quite a bit for work and really like the comfort and quiet of the LR4. Plus I love the head room, something I didn't get as much of when I test drove the '13 RRS (which isn't to say the RRS isn't a beautiful vehicle; it absolutely is). That's one of the big reasons I prefer the LR4 now that I've tried both. The off-roading would be something new for me, but it's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. That's what's keeping the Land Rover ahead of Lexus and Jeep (not that those cars couldn't handle some off-road, but they are not in the same category).

I know part of the 2014 rumor is a slightly updated cabin, and it seems that this could include the rotary gear changer
Yikes. Great point. This is something I absolutely do not want. While I wouldn't mind the rumored V6 and 8-speed transmission to help with fuel economy, I don't want those more than I want to avoid the rotary shifter, if that makes sense. I don't like the feel of those type of shifters. That's for mentioning this.

In the end, you have to ask yourself, will you regret getting the 2013 if you found out there were certain features on the 2014 that you HAD to have. It's way too much money to spend and regret not having something.
Good advice. I need to think on this exact point: If I order the 2013, will I have any regrets? Because like you said, this is a lot of money. I don't consider them over-priced because they come with so much, but Land Rovers are definitely a big investment and I don't want to drive something for six years that I'm not completely in love with.

So for me, it comes down to whether I can live without SAT Radio and any of the new 2014 features in exchange for having the vehicle three months sooner (at least) and possibly some one 2014 feature I don't want.

Something to think about. Maybe I'll go watch more LR4 youtube videos, I've only watched about 100 by now :)

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another Video...

Maybe I'll go watch more LR4 youtube videos, I've only watched about 100 by now :)

This is me from last Saturday:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/EireAngus/media/July 2013 MORG/TRIMMED_zps4a23c11e.mp4.html

I opted for Fuji White (hides scratches and stays cool in the CA sun) with black design package, HSE Lux, Arabica interior, and heavy duty package. I absolutely wanted the HID lights, and they came with the Lux package, so I opted not to get the Vision Assist package. I do not want surround cameras or any of that, plus I did not want SAT/HD radio - I never use it and rather spend the extra money on accessories.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-David

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want the Sat Radio for music I would point out that you could stream Pandora or Spotify through Bluetooth. The streaming sound quality is a lot better than Sat Radio, which sounds lousy. It's another story if you want the Sat Radio for news, sports, or Howard. One other point is that I think AM/FM HD Radio is part of the Sat Radio package and the sound quality there is also much better than Sirius. I could be wrong about which trim/option includes HD Radio - Umberto would know. One last point, the 825w Logic7 on my 2013 blows away the lower wattage version on my 2010, so I would highly recommend getting the upgraded system, which is part of the Lux trim.

I just traded my 2010 for a 2013, partly out of fear of the V6 and partly because the residual values on used LR4s are crazy high. I ordered mine because I am very particular about getting the exact spec I wanted (everything including extended leather package and premium paint, but without heavy duty), so in your situation I would probably take a chance on a 2014 V8.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Angry wood trim in my RRS and couldn't be happier. It warms up the black interior w/white stitching. I do like the black lacquer trim, but it truly is a ****** to clean... it shows everything and just one sneeze it shows tiny little water droplets... little things like that changed my mind. You'll love your RRS. I truly love mine... it sounds like an old-school muscle car in sport mode/nice rumble at downshifting, and if I'm not mistaken, in sport mode, it rev-matches... sounds sweet. And knowing it can also off-road proudly, is a huge bonus. You get the best of both worlds. :proud:

I have never seen Agnire wood in person but it looked nice in pictures. Thanks for the review. I definitely did not want the Walnut Trim and really liked Black Laqcuer on our Discovery 4.

After our first Land Rover experience (TDV6 Discovery 4) my wife will not want any other SUV. So when selling our Discovery 4 in Panama and moving to CT it was very clear we would be getting an LR4 (Grey, Almond & Black, exactly like the Discovery 4) for her.

I started out looking for a Range Rover Evoque, mainly driven by price and thinking it would be my wife's daily driver. She said if we got the LR4 & RRE she would take the LR4. So, not liking the RRE for myself, I went for what I really wanted and picked up the RRS for myself :biggrin:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never seen Agnire wood in person but it looked nice in pictures. Thanks for the review. I definitely did not want the Walnut Trim and really liked Black Laqcuer on our Discovery 4.

After our first Land Rover experience (TDV6 Discovery 4) my wife will not want any other SUV. So when selling our Discovery 4 in Panama and moving to CT it was very clear we would be getting an LR4 (Grey, Almond & Black, exactly like the Discovery 4) for her.

I started out looking for a Range Rover Evoque, mainly driven by price and thinking it would be my wife's daily driver. She said if we got the LR4 & RRE she would take the LR4. So, not liking the RRE for myself, I went for what I really wanted and picked up the RRS for myself :biggrin:
I am not too fond of the Walnut Trim. You'll like the angry wood... it's very classy and you know it's an added option which makes it a bit more special. You made the right choices with both the LR4 and RRS. I have to be honest, the Evoque is getting "very" dated looking. Where in the world do you go with a design like that for next generation? It is only backwards... And the '14 RRS is well... ugly. You're going to really fall in love with the RRS. You can stare at it for hours when it's sitting in the garage. It's beautiful. I found it interesting, because before I bought the RRS, I kept wondering what was really so special about it... while reading on other forums why people were so "hooked" on it... well, after a few weeks of ownership, I know why. It's something very special... indeed.

Last edited:

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to get there and pick it up. It's just sitting at the dealer waiting for me :wink: I stopped by to take a look at it when we went house hunting and took another one for a test drive: It was incredible!

Plus I can always borrow my wife's LR4 if I ever need the third row :biggrin: