The Quest for A Durable Front Crossover Pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has begun.

Calls out to a couple of local fab shops on my end.

But, I'm going to need a sample.

Does anyone have a failed crossover pipe in their junk pile they could send me that a shop could use as a template in trying to replicate this part?

Shoot me a PM please.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has begun.

Calls out to a couple of local fab shops on my end.

But, I'm going to need a sample.

Does anyone have a failed crossover pipe in their junk pile they could send me that a shop could use as a template in trying to replicate this part?

Shoot me a PM please.

I’m going to run to my local independent tomorrow am and see if he can give me his next two failed crossover pipes. I’ve got a guy with markforged that thinks he can make one as a 3D printed part out of continuous thread kevlar or carbon fiber (not sure this is the best for this application). He can also print it out of metal.

As soon as I supply the part images with a scale, he can give me costs on getting it 3D rendered and manufactured. I’ll report back on costs as I have something.

Avalash, I’ll send you a crossover as soon as I have one in hand. Pm your address.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, where does the part fail? I have not seen one and wondered if it is a gasket issue or on the body of the part.

See if they can 3D print a better water pump also. ;)

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, where does the part fail? I have not seen one and wondered if it is a gasket issue or on the body of the part.

My understanding is the part itself cracks near or at the junction.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It’s the plastic that fails, although the o-rings won’t last forever if there’s a more durable part. At least a durable part would prevent catastrophic failure though. O-ring failure would just develop a leak resulting in a “low coolant” warning

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:)

Dear LR, please take notice...

$$$ spent on printing glossy marketing mailers, telling the owners how good your " genuine" OEM parts are, maybe better spent actually developing better/stronger/durable parts with a life span of more than the warranty time of four years.

Its plain ridic that owners have to go to the extent of re-building a part(s) on their own so it does not fail. I mean how much effort does it take to revise a part, specially for a vehicle that, as claimed, is designed to take you away from civilization. Or perhaps the failed part statistics/data hasn't quite reached a certain number of failed units yet for you to be able to justify and satisfy the economics of revising it.

Dear LR, sometimes, the end customer experience is far more important than the economics of things.

In other words, please do whatever Toyota does for its Land Cruiser or LX/GX line for it to be as solid as it is and practically unbreakable, so we can stop worrying about the air compressor or crossover pipe and such going bad while we attempt to go "Above" and "Beyond" the urban city limits in one of your products :)

Maybe once the guys here are done R&Ding this revised and better-than-OEM crossover pipe, they could supply you with their design specs and schematics at no charge for you to just take it, reproduce it, and stamp "LR" on it. Can you at least do that?

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe once the guys here are done R&Ding this revised and better-than-OEM crossover pipe, they could supply you with their design specs and schematics at no charge for you to just take it, reproduce it, and stamp "LR" on it. Can you at least do that?

Had to be said...

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@scott schmerge PM Sent. Thanks for the offer.

Supposedly hearing back this afternoon from one shop, but it's getting late, so probably tomorrow.

One idea I picked up from an unrelated forum where I post that I like in theory is to either fab separate flanges, or thread the block ports for a pipe flanges. Then just run woven stainless or rubber to a manifold with a branch connection for the other hoses.

In theory, this would allow for easy repair in the field if it ever became necessary.

And I couldn't agree with @manoftaste more. $70ishK SUV with a piece of $ht water pump and critical cooling system parts made of plastic that require replacement every 40,000 miles.

Interesting bit of personal history here. When my wife and I bought the LR4, I insisted on it over a Landcruiser because you couldn't get a 'cruiser with a factory rear locker.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@scott schmerge PM Sent. Thanks for the offer.

Supposedly hearing back this afternoon from one shop, but it's getting late, so probably tomorrow.

One idea I picked up from an unrelated forum where I post that I like in theory is to either fab separate flanges, or thread the block ports for a pipe flanges. Then just run woven stainless or rubber to a manifold with a branch connection for the other hoses.

In theory, this would allow for easy repair in the field if it ever became necessary.

And I couldn't agree with @manoftaste more. $70ishK SUV with a piece of $ht water pump and critical cooling system parts made of plastic that require replacement every 40,000 miles.

Interesting bit of personal history here. When my wife and I bought the LR4, I insisted on it over a Landcruiser because you couldn't get a 'cruiser with a factory rear locker.

I like the idea of the separate flanges. Interesting thought. The space between the intake manifold and the top of the engine is rather narrow if I recall so the braided line would need to fit and have volume capacity.

By the design of the part, it looks to be produced as two separate parts then fused together.

I got a quote to 3D cad the part for $800 (for just the file). Then might have it cnc machined out of an aluminum block. I’m thinking I’ll check around to see if anyone else might be able to CAD it. Anyone on here have mad CAD skills? I’d be glad to set up a go fund me to crowdsource the design work- if we don’t get up to the cost of design, then you’d get your money back. Anyone who contributes, happy to share the CAD file.

I’ve got a manufacturing resource in china (long story but I thought I could make money doing replacement ashtrays for an FJ 40). I had 100 made and sold only a handful. Not a profit making venture. If people want a part, I can get a quote and you’d just pay actual cost to manufacture.

But, let’s see what avslash can get quoted too.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The early 200 series Land Cruisers purportedly have water pump issues, too. But I gather Toyota got their **** together and the replacement part solves the issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV