The XLifter EAS Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently discovered the XLifter and it doesn’t seem to have a lot of popularity over here so I thought I’d write about my experience.

The XLifter is a device that allows the height of the air suspension (EAS) system to be adjusted. It’s similar in operation to the Australian LLAMS unit that’s been around for many years. I already had the IIDTool but because it’s not intended to be permanently connected, making quick suspension adjustments is a bit of a pain. I’d thought about getting the LLAMS for a while but wasn’t a huge fan of the simple dial controller it uses. I do a lot of overlanding in my LR4 and what really sold me on the XLifter was its ability to auto-level the vehicle by independently controlling each corner.

Brain Installation

The installation is reasonably straightforward. There are two main parts: the brain and the controller. Because the brain contains accelerometers used for the auto-levelling function, it’s orientation of install is important and they recommend attaching it to the factory EAS computer (it comes with 3M Velcro strips already on the base).

Gaining access to the factory EAS computer is pretty easy - there are a couple of screws that hold the panel in place above the pedal box. I found it a bit of a wrestle to get the panel out. The EAS computer is located up high, towards the base of the A pillar. On my 2015 LR4, I found another computer located beneath it that continually got in the way. It didn’t seem easily removable, but by undoing the two lower retaining nuts, it was able to be pushed out of the way to get the job done.

The XLifter brain is about half the size of the EAS computer and I found there was just enough room to squeeze it up beside their factory computer and get your hand in there to press it together. The kit comes with a loom that uses OEM connectors and it’s really simple to disconnect the two plugs from the EAS, plug them into the loom and then plug the loom back into the EAS. When all of that’s in place, the loom can be connected to the brain. There’s an LED on the base of the XLifter brain that tells you if it’s working.

Controller Installation

Out of the box, the controller comes with short lead that has a cigarette lighter plug on the end of it. The controller connects wirelessly to the brain and only uses the wire for power. As soon as I plugged it in to power it connected to the brain immediately and I was able to control the device.

I’m a sucker for OEM-style installs, so I decided to take things a step further. The controller happens to fit perfectly in the little coin pocket opposite the e-handbrake on the LR4, so I decided to mount it there. I also considered mounting it next to the vehicle’s suspension controls but didn’t want to drill a hole in that panel.

Gaining access to the centre console is ridiculously easy. After pulling out the cup holders there are two screws and then the whole thing just pulls out. I bought some simple barrel-style 2 pin connectors off Amazon and drilled a hole in the bottom of the coin holder to mount the socket. I patched into the factory cigarette lighter socket for power and cut the fly lead of the XLifter controller to about 2 inches and attached the plug onto it. The unit stays perfectly in place but if I needed to, I can remove it in seconds.

Operation

Using the XLifter is straightforward: pressing up or down on the remote control selects a height and a second later it begins to apply the change. The left-hand part of the screen shows the current offset in mm and the right-hand has a graphic representation of the current suspension set-point and the current suspension position - very similar to the 4x4 screen on the infotainment system.

Hitting the right button opens up the device menu, where you can access the autolevelling function. This can level the car up to +/- 4 degrees in both axes and the screen shows two spirit levels representing the car’s current balance. Levelling takes about two minutes: in the first minute, the car goes through coarse levelling and the second is used to fine tune the position. The system remembers the last selection, so when I level it at camp and start the LR4 up again in the morning, it gives the option to exit autolevelling and return to normal.

Thoughts

I’m very happy with this device. I’d considered the LLAMS many times in the past but wasn’t a huge fan of its basic interface. The control of the XLifter is dead simple to use and is really slick looking. I use my LR4 as an overlanding rig and the autolevelling feature is a complete game changer - I don’t have to go jamming rocks and Maxtrax under the wheels at camp trying to make the vehicle flat.

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

Steve T

Reaction score
i second that! great write up, couldn't have stated it any better. i just finished field testing it for Xlifter as i am becoming a US distributor. i did have 1 issue with the wiring loom but Jan @ Xlifter and i troubleshot it and figure out the issue within a couple hours and a new wiring loom was overnighted...BOOM... back in business. works beautifully.

let me know if anyone has questions or would like one I am working out pricing/discount for forum members.

Steve

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can it replace a "rod" lift? That is, can I dial in a specific height setting (48mm in my case) and have it maintain that height regardless of speed?

Are the lift points preset, or can they be programmed. Can it be programmed to hold those heights at any speed?

I like the autolevel function, but am curious how it would interact overall with the strut spacers I run. You almost have to run a complimentary 45-52mm lift with the strut spacers or the low air bag pressure causes the truck to ride like a buckboard on a mining trail.

Steve T

Reaction score
Can it replace a "rod" lift? That is, can I dial in a specific height setting (48mm in my case) and have it maintain that height regardless of speed?

Are the lift points preset, or can they be programmed. Can it be programmed to hold those heights at any speed?

I like the autolevel function, but am curious how it would interact overall with the strut spacers I run. You almost have to run a complimentary 45-52mm lift with the strut spacers or the low air bag pressure causes the truck to ride like a buckboard on a mining trail.

There are 2 lift modes.
1). Presets.
  • Superdrop -35mm
  • 1" drop -25mm
  • highway drop -15mm
  • Disengaged default - 0mm
  • aesthetic lift - +15mm
  • 1' lift - +25mm
  • Offroad - +55mm
  • Skyrocket- +75mm
2) manual mode
  • -40mm drop - +75mm lift
  • 5mm increments
you can use the system in conjunction with Gap iiD for one tuning (i.e. you can set a default with Gap iiD as the system "Zero"). then the Xlifter will make adjustments as above based off of the "zero" default but only to the maximum of the suspension limits.

the lift/drop works at all speeds. no Rods required. You can make adjustments while driving from the system controller. see the pics above from Adventure Tim. He did a nice install! I am currently experimenting with multiple install locations on my 2011 (no Roary dial transmission shifter). on the models with an OEM lever vs Rotary dial transmission shifter the location Adventure Tim has mounted does not allow for the Xlifter Controller to be visibly viewed when the transmission os shifted into D.

I have attached a link to the operating manual here. all of the specs and install Are included. I do not use spacers but I will inquire if the unit has been used with spacers and auto level function and get back to you.

I have not experienced any ride issues. in fact, I've noticed a nicer "air ride" at the 1inch and 2 inch lift positions while on the highway or around town. I utilize the "Highway drop" mode on the fly while on the highway and it works superbly

let me know if you have any further questions.

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Steve! I'm very happy with the product - it's simple and easy to use, and the auto level feature is just magic.

Johnhanks1

Reaction score
I just bought this straight from xlifters website for 540 + 10 dollar shipping. Got here fast and the install wasn't that hard.

View attachment 9888[/QUOTE]

Tim I was wondering exactly what this photo is showing. I really like how you installed this piece, and was looking to do the same thing. I'm wondering what products you bought? So you have added a plug onto the end of your unit, allowing you to unplug it with ease?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA