Things to look for on a high mileage LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Rustioni

Reaction score
I am looking at a couple of LR4s, a 2010 HSE with 87,000 miles and a 2012 HSE LUX with 107,000.

I am new to the Land Rover world, but know I should ask about service history etc., specifically about the timing chain and tensioners, water pump and control arms.

Is there anything else I should make a point of asking specific questions about?

Thanks!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask about any coolant leaks and if anything was done to address them.

Ask about any air suspension components that have been replaced.

Whether the transmission fluid has been changed.

In general, ask where these vehicles have been serviced at, and if you can get a printout of everything that's been done.

Ask what sort of oil they use in an oil change, and how often the oil has been changed.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to take the VIN to your local LR dealer and have them print out the dealer service history. The one with 87K may need new diff fluids, transfer case fluid, transmission service, spark plugs, fan belt and more. The one with 107K should have had all of those done by now if it was well maintained.

Plus, with the Lux you get more features like nicer leather, cooler box, better sound system, memory seats, etc.

Ed Rustioni

Reaction score
So the 2012 with 107K has had a decent amount of work done. In the last 15,000 miles it has had the front control arms replaced, front wheel bearings replaced, front brakes replaced, new water pump, new coolant crossover pipes and a new starter. It looks like they used Mobil 1 full synthetic for oil changes. The dealer is asking $18,000 for this one, pretty sure I can get him down further.

Should I be concerned with the fact it has north of 100k on the clock? It seems like the previous owner took care of it pretty well.

The 2010 with 87k on it doesn't appear to have had much done recently. The last detailed record I can find was at 65,000 which was done at a Land Rover dealer, but it looks like it was just a regular service. The dealer is asking $17,950 for this one.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would certainly go with the well maintained 2012 with 107K over the 2010 that will need all that work done soon. Many here are getting close to 200K and someone just posted pic of an LR4 odometer with over 300K. Just make sure you do the transmission service on the 2012 if it has not been done yet and use the Atlantic British transmission service kit with the metal pan to make your next transmission service easier.

Ed Rustioni

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards that for the very same reasons.

I have found a 2010 Lux with 63,000 on it that is not too far away. The maintenance records that the dealer has provided (Carfax) shows a lot of 'checks' done at a Land Rover dealer in Tulsa, but doesn't have specific records of work being done. I ran the VIN through Land Rover's online service history checker and it didn't come up with any records.

I am intrigued by this one as it is a one owner with very low miles for it's age, but just weary of the lack of detail in the service records.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would certainly go with the well maintained 2012 with 107K over the 2010 that will need all that work done soon.

Agree w/@PaulLR3. It's tough to opt for a higher mileage vehicle if that info is taken in a vacuum, but in this case I would get a lot of comfort and confidence in the recent work on the 2012. All of those items are classic trouble spots in that mileage range. Heck, some of that work may still be under warranty which may be good if the dealer is local. Not sure if dealer repair warranties are transferrable, though. Any idea of the oil change intervals? Plenty of folks here use Mobil 1 with no issues.

Ed Rustioni

Reaction score
That one looks nice. It is a little out of my way, sadly.

I just called Land Rover Tulsa to inquire about the 2010 Lux with 63,000. They told me it had the control arms and ball joints replaced at 39,000 and had the front and rear brakes replaced at 48,000. The dealer is asking $19,000 for that one.

So now it is a toss up between the 2012 Lux with 107k for $18,000 or the 2010 Lux with 63K for $19,000.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA