Think about Added a 2nd battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BumpShot

Reaction score
I have been reading of people adding a 2nd battery.
The left side ( in the us) will hold a H8 battery .
The right side will hold up to an H6
( I'm only talking about One type of battery for both battery's.)
(Like an AGM ( matching battery's ))

The question I got is if you install 2 different sizes.
It will only charge up to the smaller battery you are using.

From Alternator:
Meaning the H6 will be fully charged .
But, the H8 ( or H7 ) will not get fully charged.

How are people running this way?
Are you using an DC-DC charger?
Thinking of running 2 - H6 Battery's. To have matching set.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the thing about DC-DC chargers, they isolate the house battery from the main, so your aux (house) could be different size, chemistry, etc. I'm running a WaganTech 25 amp DC charger off the truck to a LiFPo4 100ah battery. Easy peasy.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are different schools of thought on this.

Traxide, is the Australian resource that is being referenced, and they have a spiffy new website.

I run 2 Optima Yellow tops connected by a Traxide USI-160 isolator with a permanent solar panel mounted on the hood. A separate fuse block and all accessories besides the winch are powered by the aux battery.

This is the best combo I have found after years of tinkering with the electrical system on this truck.

I have tested this for up to 5 days by running my fridge and occasionally opening/closing some doors and truck started right up. Only future upgrade planned is a couple of Odyssey batteries once the yellow tops have run their course.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are different schools of thought on this.

Traxide, is the Australian resource that is being referenced, and they have a spiffy new website.

I run 2 Optima Yellow tops connected by a Traxide USI-160 isolator with a permanent solar panel mounted on the hood. A separate fuse block and all accessories besides the winch are powered by the aux battery.

This is the best combo I have found after years of tinkering with the electrical system on this truck.

I have tested this for up to 5 days by running my fridge and occasionally opening/closing some doors and truck started right up. Only future upgrade planned is a couple of Odyssey batteries once the yellow tops have run their course.
Probably the best way to go if permanently mounting a second battery. For various reasons I was satisfied with a portable aux box I made myself, and installed the DC-DC and solar permanently into the truck. My disadvantage is that all the hardwired truck accessories still are run of the main. But inverter, fridge, etc are all run off the aux when it's connected.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
portable battery tech is so good right now I don’t see any good reason to mess with a permanent battery. Those traxide kits are really expensive.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
portable battery tech is so good right now I don’t see any good reason to mess with a permanent battery. Those traxide kits are really expensive.

Get both???

What do you guys run off of a portable aux box? I assume you take it out to camp and then plug back into vehicle to recharge the aux box?

Are you loading/unloading a fridge when you camp?

I'm curious as that setup has never crossed my mind. Most everything I run is permanently attached to the vehicle and I sleep on a platform in the back so "portable" never really entered into my calculus.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less is more. You don't electricity to go camping as a good cooler will hold ice for 5 days. I camp off my dirt bike and have everything I need to be comfortable with a total weight around 22lbs including the bag that carries it. Takes 5 mins to pack and 10 mins to break camp. Try to keep it simple is my philosophy.

To overland in a LR4 all you need is an air mattress, a good cooler, solar shower, water jug, and a few food prep utensils.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72