Thoughts about this LR4? Looking for 14-16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alchern

Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to share some information about an LR4 I am currently looking at purchasing, and ask for some honest opinions. I have never owned a Land Rover, however I have been reading / researching for a couple years now. I live in Canada, in a small town in Norther Ontario. We do not have a LR dealership, however we have several independent shops that will work on them. I am ready and willing to get my hands dirty and do most work in my own shop. I really want something different than the typical Toyota 4runner around here.... everyone has them, and they are extremely expensive for what they are. I know maintenance is nothing compared to LR4, but I like to work on vehicles and maintain my high end possessions and keep them good as new.

In Canada currently there are only approximately 20 LR4's that are in the 2014 - 2016 years (across the whole country!). This particular one has stood out for me, as it has the HD package, is a lux, and has some of the black accent package. It also is in my province. I am not a huge fan of white exterior, however I can always wrap later. The vehicle has reasonably low miles (85K km - just over 50K miles).

Please see attached photos and carfax. It has had recorded service at Jaguar / LR dealership in Toronto, ON. It has not had any accidents. No insurance claims. Please see photos and service history, and let me know what you think. The current asking price is approximately $36 CDN (approx $27,500 USD).

HERE IS THE SLIGHT ISSUE: Given my location, I cannot go to Toronto to test drive and vehicle I am looking for. Given COVID and my job, I cannot fly to Toronto to test drive and buy a vehicle. I would have to go through a virtual test drive and have a list of questions / agreements written into a contract. Once purchased, I would have to ship the vehicle to where I live.

Please let me know your thoughts. I know it is foolish to buy a used LR without a test drive, however I don't really have many options. The drive to Toronto is 16+ hours each way, and I just cannot take the time off of work to do this. I also want to stay out of Toronto as it is COVID hot spot and my wife is pregnant.

Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 2.13.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 2.13.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 2.14.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 2.06.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 2.07.16 PM.png

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like this is a dealer car.

I bought from an out of state dealer. It was a GM dealer, and they let me put a couple hundred down to hold the car. The salesperson took a ton of really detailed additional photos for me. I also arranged for an inspection by a local LR mechanic before I bought it - the dealer was fine with that, even drove it over to the mechanic for me. I was planning to buy sight unseen with an extended warranty, but the salesperson convinced me to just fly out and take a look.

It’s definitely a risk buying sight unseen, but you can mitigate some of it. See if the salesperson/seller will send you more photos and will hold it for some money down while you get a mechanic to look it over. There are several of these “mobile inspection” services available now (at least in the US), or you can just check in town for a mechanic that’s willing to give it an inspection and see of the seller will drive it over to them.

Assuming it is a dealer car, you should have access to an extended warranty. If I were doing it, I’d buy with an extended warranty then maybe cancel the warranty once I’d decided the car was okay (in the US, you can often cancel an extended warranty and get a refund on the unused portion). Not sure if you can do that in Canada.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the photos and history, I can’t really tell any more than you can (you probably have better copies of the photos), but nothing really jumps out about that service history to me. You’ll want to search this forum for the typical preventative maintenance items that LR doesn’t take care of (e.g., coolant crossovers).

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only weird thing was the early transmission service and all the alignments. . Someone hit a lot of potholes. Also it looks like someone lost the keys at one point. Buy it.

Etobicoke is not too bad for salt is it?

Edit : You must live in Thunder Bay or Kenora?

Robert Kinsler

Reaction score
Does look like a healthy number of trips to the shop, which can be read either way... meticulous owner or lots of problems. Probably the prior.

Price seems a little steep but nothing crazy. Are you going to negotiate?

16hr drive is a beast for so, but I'll tell ya, I loved my drive home when I flew out to pick mine up.

Not to belittle your covid concerns but some perspective on numbers, .6% of Canadians have gotten covid and .02 have passed and I suspect you are likely under 50, lowering your risk even more. Your risk is truly truly miniscule.

Beautiful rig for a white one!

Last edited:

Alchern

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

ktm525: The alignment frequency does seem a bit odd. I did wonder about the early transmission service, however nothing noted after 23K. I don't think the salt will be a major problem... I will get under there and clean up all the metal and have it coated. I live in Thunder Bay.

Robert Kinsler: I think I may phone the original dealership to see if they can inspect the vehicle, at my expense. That would give me a little peace of mind. I'll see if the seller is willing to bring the vehicle there for me. I am definitely going to try to negotiate - not sure how far I will get. It seems high, but for the reasonable mileage and all the options it has, it's better than most other LR4's for sale in these parts. I'm not super concerned about Covid... I work in the health field and know all about exposure and risks... however if I do leave my area, I will have to self isolate (meaning, I miss out on two weeks of work and wages - not in the cards right now).

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 40k they replaced brake pads. Count on new pads/rotors soon for the front and possibly pads again for the rear. Nothing serious. Also what are the tires? Looks clean. Buy it as it will disappear.

keya

Reaction score
Can you pay an independent shop to test drive it and send you a buyer’s inspection? That’s what I do when I can’t go myself. Just pick a good British or Land Rover shop. Ask them to share a template with you before committing. That way you can see how comprehensive their inspection is.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alignment looks annual to me. Doesn't seem too alarming. Maybe the dealership was offering some alignment package with purchase. I know a lot of people who take their vehicle in to be aligned every year. Doesn't mean it's out of alignment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA