throttle body on 5 litre LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wayne

Reaction score
Dealer want to clean the throttle body on my 2012 LR4. My understanding is that this is direct injection and there should not be a throttle body. What do you think?

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a throttle body and it may be direct injected as well. they just spray and wipe the inside of throttle body that i know of. Its a scam. If you can do this yourself you should be fine. Do not the the throttle plate slam shut when cleaning.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your not comfortable with doing maintenance yourself you might as well pay someone to do it. knowledge is power. I hope this helps. I am not being rude so please do not take it that way.

wayne

Reaction score
Thanks Eljefe!

Not rude at all. I have a 1999 P38 for which I do all the maintenance. The LR4 is a new car for the wife, and we agreed that I do not have time to maintain two land rovers, so it will be done at the stealer or an indy. I am not familiar with the direct injection v8 in that car and thought that the mechanical air valve had been eliminated. Anyway, thanks for the help; I looked at the video and immediately realized what I missed.

Wayne

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no problem. I think you should have no problem doing it.

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The direct injection is part of the fuel system. The throttle body is part of the induction system. They work together of course but very different jobs. Cleaning it is definitely a scam to make easy money. And it takes a ton of miles or really, really awful conditions before one even needs to be cleaned assuming you keep up on your air filters.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't discount it happening, happens a lot and fairly early on Land Rovers. My idle was all over the place (LR3) and 20 minutes of scrubbing later it ran like new. Definitely a simple do it your self job though.

mateostyle

Reaction score
Is there anything special on the LR4 to take throttle body off for cleaning? Do you have to do anything for the throttle body to relearn the position after removal and cleaning?
Thanks.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything special on the LR4 to take throttle body off for cleaning? Do you have to do anything for the throttle body to relearn the position after removal and cleaning?
Thanks.

Just throttle body cleaner, a rag, and a toothbrush. Four bolts and electrical connection to remove. I cleaned mine with tb heater hose still attached. I used my gap tool to recalibrate after manually manipulating it. It still was throwing codes after cleaning and the gap tool cleared that right up.

I’m sure if you have a good relationship with an independent nearby, they’d recalibrate for a sixer of their favorite beverage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV