Timing Chain and Head Gasket replacement TDC Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rolledover

Reaction score
I've just removed the RH head to have a valve job done due to a leaking exhaust valve on cylinder 7. I had an issue where the marks on the chain weren't lining up on with the marks on the VVT's, and after rotating the motor 20+ times decided to use the cams to confirm cylinder 1 was TDC. I locked the cams in place, was able to insert the CKP tool and the starter tool before removing crank pulley. Once removed the keyway was correctly located at 6 o'clock. When I pulled the head last night this is where cylinder 1 was, which kind of concerns me. I was pretty confident everything was timed up correctly but after seeing this I'm not so sure. Can anyone confirm that this is TDC on cylinder 1?

Also, I'm not removing the LH head as other than cylinder 7, compression was great on all others. When replacing the chains my plan is to leave those VVT's in place as I believe there is enough slack to not have to remove them. If not removing them then the whole VVT tensioning procedure wouldn't be necessary right?

Don't mind the scratches on cylinder 1, they're superficial and from me being an idiot and using a 2ft long screwdriver to check piston movement.

Attachments

• IMG_9016.jpg
    IMG_9016.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9017.jpg
    IMG_9017.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9020.jpg
    IMG_9020.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9015.jpg
    IMG_9015.jpg