Timing Chain repair costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler Douse

Reaction score
Good morning! I am having the timing chain replaced on my 2012 LR4 (75K miles). The rattle had been getting worse and I wanted to get the issue resolved before any more damage was done. I got an estimate from a shop nearby and was hoping someone with more insight that me could say if these are in fact the parts I need to replace - or if they're just trying to get more money out of me. The parts themselves seem to be on par with what I've seen elsewhere, though slightly higher in some cases. Just not totally sure if I need all of this or not. Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Part: Qty| Unit Price | Price
Coolant: 3 |$18.60|$55.80
Timing Chain Tensioner (LR0 51008): 2|$168.00|$336.00
Timing Chain Tensioner (LR0 12111): 2|$45.60|$91.20
Rail (LR0 12110): 2|$12.50|$25.00
Rail (LR0 51012): 2|$41.30|$82.60
Timing Chain (LR0 32048): 1|$124.60|$ 124.60
Timing Chain Sprocket (LR0 61551): 2|$ 297.30|$ 594.60
Valve Cover/Gasket (LR0411458): 2|$ 249.00 |$ 498.00
Timing Cover (LR0 11995): 1 |$ 138.00 |$ 138.00
Timing Cover (LR0 11216): 1 |$ 122.00 |$ 122.00
Sealer/Cleaner 41-+9: 1 |$ 48.00 |$ 48.00
Timing Chain (01218952): 1 |$ 98.60 |$ 98.60
Timing Cover (LR0 32086)L 1 |$ 132.00 |$ 132.00
Total Price: $ 2,346.40

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score
Good morning! I am having the timing chain replaced on my 2012 LR4 (75K miles). The rattle had been getting worse and I wanted to get the issue resolved before any more damage was done. I got an estimate from a shop nearby and was hoping someone with more insight that me could say if these are in fact the parts I need to replace - or if they're just trying to get more money out of me. The parts themselves seem to be on par with what I've seen elsewhere, though slightly higher in some cases. Just not totally sure if I need all of this or not. Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Part: Qty| Unit Price | Price
Coolant: 3 |$18.60|$55.80
Timing Chain Tensioner (LR0 51008): 2|$168.00|$336.00
Timing Chain Tensioner (LR0 12111): 2|$45.60|$91.20
Rail (LR0 12110): 2|$12.50|$25.00
Rail (LR0 51012): 2|$41.30|$82.60
Timing Chain (LR0 32048): 1|$124.60|$ 124.60
Timing Chain Sprocket (LR0 61551): 2|$ 297.30|$ 594.60
Valve Cover/Gasket (LR0411458): 2|$ 249.00 |$ 498.00
Timing Cover (LR0 11995): 1 |$ 138.00 |$ 138.00
Timing Cover (LR0 11216): 1 |$ 122.00 |$ 122.00
Sealer/Cleaner 41-+9: 1 |$ 48.00 |$ 48.00
Timing Chain (01218952): 1 |$ 98.60 |$ 98.60
Timing Cover (LR0 32086)L 1 |$ 132.00 |$ 132.00
Total Price: $ 2,346.40

How many hours for labor????

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks legit, some of those timing covers have to be replaced as they have seals in them..

$2346, with a new chain installed? I'd do it in an instant- especially if the dealer is covering labor..

I see this is your second post, welcome..! Read up on the maintenance DIY and oil change threads, there are a lot of us trying to extend the life of these vehicles without dealership costs. You just happened to hit the Achilles heel of the engine quirks we have been discussing recently.. If you cut your oil change interval in half it may help this not happening again... And help get you to 200k.

Keep us in the loop, and if you can get a pic of the inside of the timing chain housing and tensioners (before they clean it up) I'd appreciate it..! We are trying to solidify a correlation between engine oil deposits/gunk and the premature failing of those guides..

Mike

Last edited:

Tyler Douse

Reaction score
Thanks, Mike. This is super helpful feedback! The labor estimate ended up being around $2,500, so roughly the same as the parts. Thank god I'm not having to pay for the entire thing.

Good tip about the oil changes. I had read that in some other threads, so it's definitely something I plan to do.

I'll text the mechanic and see if he can snap some pics while he's in there.

Again, thanks for the helpful feedback! I really appreciate it.

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score
Thanks, Mike. This is super helpful feedback! The labor estimate ended up being around $2,500, so roughly the same as the parts. Thank god I'm not having to pay for the entire thing.

Good tip about the oil changes. I had read that in some other threads, so it's definitely something I plan to do.

I'll text the mechanic and see if he can snap some pics while he's in there.

Again, thanks for the helpful feedback! I really appreciate it.

Yeah that would be a "Where do I sign?" price for me... Take some pictures of the guide wear too as well as the back where the tensioner is said to wear into the aluminum.

Can't believe they designed a steel on aluminum design.....

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good step by step guide on doing the timing chain replacement? My 2011 just hit 90k - I would think that it would be worth it to do this in my spare time to save the $2500 in labor.

I did the timing belt replacement on my 2003 Audi TT - the biggest problem I faced there was my arms not having space to work... but front of engine in LR4 has 5x the space of Audi TT.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the best I could find.. I can't locate anything out on the net that has the complete tear-down along with the fitting of the new tensioners/guides/chains. The Jag guys have been circling around the issue for some time also, with some folks saying they did it (sans write-up).

I don't think the job is impossible; I'd like to get a comprehensive write-up out there that fits it into a weekend (two 6-8 hour days) but I'm under warranty for 2 more years.. There is no question that this is quite involved, but if one is orderly and methodical it can be done..

How to Replace timing chains on Land Rover Discovery IV 5.0 V8 AWD 2009-
Published July 13, 2015

Special tools
  • Camshaft alignment tools – No.303-1445.
  • Camshaft turning tools – No.303-1452.
  • Crankshaft pulley bolt socket – No.303-1438.
  • Crankshaft pulley holding tool – No.303-1437.
  • Crankshaft pulley removal/installation tool 1 – No.303-1439.
  • Crankshaft pulley removal/installation tool 2 – No.303-1440.
  • Crankshaft pulley removal/installation tool 3 – No.303-1441.
  • Crankshaft timing pin (crankshaft position (CKP) sensor aperture) – No.303-1447.
  • Flywheel/drive plate locking tool (starter motor aperture) – No.303-1448
  • Timing chain pre-tensioning tool – No.303-1482.
General precautions
  • Disconnect battery earth lead.
  • Remove spark plugs to ease turning engine.
  • Turn engine in normal direction of rotation (unless otherwise stated).
  • Observe tightening torques.
  • If fitted: Mark position of crankshaft position (CKP) sensor before removal.
  • Do NOT turn crankshaft via camshaft or other sprockets.
  • Do NOT turn crankshaft or camshaft with timing chain removed.
Valve timing procedures
chains-on-Land-Rover-Discovery-IV-5.0-V8-AWD-2009-.png

Removal
  • Remove crankshaft position (CKP) sensor.
  • Turn crankshaft in direction of engine rotation until crankshaft timing pin can be installed [1] .
  • Ensure crankshaft sprocket keyway at 6 o’clock position [2] .
NOTE: If crankshaft sprocket keyway at 9 o’clock position, replace drive plate.

• Ensure groove in rear of camshafts positioned as shown [3] .
  • Remove RH bank timing chain tensioner and tensioner blade.
  • Slacken bolts of each RH bank camshaft adjuster [4] .
  • Remove RH bank camshaft adjusters and timing chain.
  • Remove LH bank timing chain tensioner and tensioner blade.
  • Slacken bolts of each LH bank camshaft adjuster [5] .
  • Remove LH bank camshaft adjusters and timing chain.
NOTE: Crankshaft sprocket friction washers MUST be replaced [6] .

Installation
  • Ensure crankshaft timing pin correctly fitted [1] .
  • Ensure crankshaft sprocket keyway at 6 o’clock position [2] .
  • Ensure groove in rear of camshafts positioned as shown [3] .
  • Install camshaft turning tools to front of LH bank camshafts [7] .
  • Install camshaft alignment tool to rear of LH bank camshafts [8] .
  • Ensure camshaft alignment tool engages in end of camshafts. Secure tool with bolts [9] . Finger tighten bolts.
  • Rock camshafts slightly to ensure camshaft alignment tool located correctly.
  • Remove camshaft turning tools [7] .
  • Install camshaft turning tools to front of RH bank camshafts [7] .
  • Install camshaft alignment tool to rear of RH bank camshafts [8] .
  • Ensure camshaft alignment tool engages in end of camshafts. Secure tool with bolts [9] . Finger tighten bolts.
  • Rock camshafts slightly to ensure camshaft alignment tool located correctly.
  • Lock LH and RH bank timing chain tensioners in retracted position:
NOTE: There are two types of tensioner.

• Tensioner – type A:
      • Push plunger into tensioner body in direction of arrow [10] .
      • Insert a suitable pin into tensioner body to lock tensioner plunger in position [11] .
  • Tensioner – type B:
      • Turn tensioner pawl fully clockwise [12] .
      • Push plunger into tensioner body in direction of arrow [13] .
      • Turn tensioner pawl fully anti-clockwise [12] .
      • Insert a suitable pin into tensioner body to lock tensioner plunger in position [14] .
  • Install LH bank camshaft adjusters and timing chain as an assembly. Finger tighten bolts.
  • Ensure coloured or painted chain links aligned with timing marks on each camshaft adjuster and chain guide [15] , [16] & [17] .
  • Install LH bank timing chain tensioner and tensioner blade.
  • Install RH bank camshaft adjusters and timing chain as an assembly. Finger tighten bolts.
  • Ensure coloured or painted chain links aligned with timing marks on each camshaft adjuster and chain guide [18] , [19] & [20] .
  • Install RH bank timing chain tensioner and tensioner blade.
  • Remove pin to release timing chain tensioner plunger [11] & [14] .
  • Install timing chain pre-tensioning tool to LH bank inlet camshaft adjuster [21] .
  • Apply a pre-tensioning torque of 35 Nm.
  • Tighten LH bank exhaust camshaft adjuster bolts. Tightening torque: 32 Nm.
  • Tighten LH bank inlet camshaft adjuster bolts. Tightening torque: 32 Nm.
  • Remove timing chain pre-tensioning tool [21] .
  • Install timing chain pre-tensioning tool to RH bank exhaust camshaft adjuster [22] .
  • Apply a pre-tensioning torque of 35 Nm.
  • Tighten RH bank inlet camshaft adjuster bolts. Tightening torque: 32 Nm.
  • Tighten RH bank exhaust camshaft adjuster bolts. Tightening torque: 32 Nm.
  • Remove timing chain pre-tensioning tool [22] .
  • Remove camshaft alignment tools [8] .
  • Remove crankshaft timing pin [1] .
  • Fit flywheel/drive plate locking tool [23] .
  • Temporarily fit crankshaft pulley bolt with M16 washer. Tightening torque: 50 Nm.
  • Remove flywheel/drive plate locking tool [23] .
  • Turn crankshaft two turns clockwise.
  • Fit flywheel/drive plate locking tool [23] .
  • Remove crankshaft pulley bolt.
  • Remove flywheel/drive plate locking tool [23] .
  • Turn crankshaft in direction of engine rotation until crankshaft timing pin can be installed [1] .
  • Ensure camshaft alignment tools can be fitted [8] . If not, repeat timing chain installation.
  • Remove camshaft alignment tools [8] .
  • Remove crankshaft timing pin [1] .
  • There are two types of crankshaft pulley bolt:
      • Bolt classification – 10.9 (RH thread).
      • Bolt classification – 12.9 (LH thread).
  • Tighten crankshaft pulley bolt. Use new bolt. Tightening torque: 200 Nm + 270°.

Here's two more links...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/...ming-chain-new-information-attn-techs-159928/

http://offroadrover.com/range-rover...ger-isolator-coupling-water-pump-replacement/

Mike

Vytec

Reaction score
For a 2014 LR4 HSE Lux when should I be looking at this being concerning?? If I do the 7500 mile oil changes on it should I not have to worry about it until 150,000 plus?? How does one tell that it's time to change? Is it the noise that was described in the original thread?

jpmorgan

Reaction score
Tyler, I have a 2011 RR and I took it to a dealership as well. Unfortunately, they were not as reputable as yours. The engine light kept coming on even after several trips to the dealership for repairs and about $2,000 out of my pocket. Finally, the noise you mentioned appeared, the engine light still continued to come on ,and finally it quit running altogether, and I took it back to the dealership. They informed me that it was the timing gears and chain that needed to be replaced, as well, at a cost of around $9,000.00 of which I would have to pay. I was unable to come up with the estimate amount and sought help elsewhere. I did some research and found out that this was a problem identified by Land Rover in 2015. A bulletin was issued by them at that time addressing the problem and how the dealerships were to manage the repairs. My dealership withheld this information from me. I eventually spend over $10,000 on the vehicle which should have been repaired by the dealership at NO cost to me. Just a bit of information. Thanks for the info as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72