tip of the week. Coolant level sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the potential of the LR4 loosing coolant quickly through a water pump or Y pipe failure a reliable sensor on the coolant tank is valuable as it may be your first warning something is amiss. Unfortunately as they get old the sensor gets wonky and they begin to give false warnings (dashboard says low coolant but tank is full). The common remedy is to swap for a new tank. That is not required and you save a bunch of $$. I found a $6 sensor replacement on Rock Auto. Swapping the sensor is at most a 30 minute job and if done carefully you lose very little coolant in the process (about 250mL).

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get a low coolant warning on your dash but the expansion tank is full then your sensor is faulty. The fix is $6 + about 1 hour of your time. Replacement is straightforward requiring removal of drivers side air box, a couple of screws for the tank and the removal of two hoses to the tank. Be sure to siphon off as much from the tank as possible and plug the hoses to minimize coolant loss. I used 3/8 and 1/2 socket extensions. Sensor just pulls out and pushes in from bottom of tank.

Dealer will probably charge you for a whole new tank assembly and two hours of labour lol.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done KTM.. $6 to save a $10k engine? When I punch those numbers into my calculator, it shows a thumbs-up.

Mike

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
random reply to a 2yr old thread.

but this makes me wonder of the placement of the sensor.

I understand one fo the problems of crossover pipe failure is that the sensor in the bottom of the coolant tank doesnt allow for any warning until the tank is empty.

has anyone relocated the sensor to a more relevant location?
maybe up higher, on the side of the tank? im sure an adapter fitting and JB weld could make this a rather easy project.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also a sensor in the rear cross over pipe (heater manifold), but that obviously doesn't help when one of the front components lets go.

I think the best option is a head or block mounted sensor. It would be the most accurate way to measure increased temperature related to a loss-of-coolant-type issue.

That being said, I would have no idea where to tap it.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps higher in the tank? That would buy you another .5L. Leave the old one in place, disconnect and mount new one higher?

btw the price of the sensor has gone up a bit. Must be a run on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV