tip of the week. Coolant level sensor

Discussion in 'LR4' started by ktm525, Aug 12, 2018.

1. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

With the potential of the LR4 loosing coolant quickly through a water pump or Y pipe failure a reliable sensor on the coolant tank is valuable as it may be your first warning something is amiss. Unfortunately as they get old the sensor gets wonky and they begin to give false warnings (dashboard says low coolant but tank is full). The common remedy is to swap for a new tank. That is not required and you save a bunch of $$. I found a $6 sensor replacement on Rock Auto. Swapping the sensor is at most a 30 minute job and if done carefully you lose very little coolant in the process (about 250mL).

2. Rberkel

Rberkel Member

Some more info pls ...

3. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

If you get a low coolant warning on your dash but the expansion tank is full then your sensor is faulty. The fix is $6 + about 1 hour of your time. Replacement is straightforward requiring removal of drivers side air box, a couple of screws for the tank and the removal of two hoses to the tank. Be sure to siphon off as much from the tank as possible and plug the hoses to minimize coolant loss. I used 3/8 and 1/2 socket extensions. Sensor just pulls out and pushes in from bottom of tank.

Dealer will probably charge you for a whole new tank assembly and two hours of labour lol.

4. Pfunk951

Pfunk951 Full Access Member

Well done KTM.. $6 to save a $10k engine? When I punch those numbers into my calculator, it shows a thumbs-up.

Mike

cperez likes this.